Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prob a stupid question. Gas or no gas in 9 minor?

818-DVC

Buddy and I are going back n forth over loading for static steel loads in our open guns. He runs 5.2 of N320 over a 115 JHP @ 1.165 in his comped shorty with WSP to create some gas to work the comp. load felt a little harsh to me for minor. I was wondering if you need all the gas, or if you can load lighter and not work the comp.

I'm a noob to loading, but I figured if you can run light, and the gun will cycle it,what's it matter if the comp works or not?

Please feel free to set me straight!

I just ran minor at area 1.. Used my production loads (chrono at 135) due to a weird occurance with my major loads a day before the match.. The minor loads in the comp dont really do anything to make it beneficial.. It may work it a little but its ineffective.. You need a slower powder like n350, 3n37, hs6, autocomp, or silhouette to create gas and use the comp effectively.

One thing i noticed with the faster powder was more dot movement.. Probably due to the faster cycle speed and higher initial energy..

With a power factor that low 100-110 your gun will probably not cycle even with a lighter recoil spring. 125-135 PF is about right. Try some HS-6 to get some gas.

For static steel with no bullet weight min run a 95 grain bullet with a powder charge similar to a 124 grain. This will get the comp to work. Will be soft and flat and get the slide velocity where it dosent feel sluggish

I just ran minor at area 1.. Used my production loads (chrono at 135) due to a weird occurance with my major loads a day before the match.. The minor loads in the comp dont really do anything to make it beneficial.. It may work it a little but its ineffective.. You need a slower powder like n350, 3n37, hs6, autocomp, or silhouette to create gas and use the comp effectively. One thing i noticed with the faster powder was more dot movement.. Probably due to the faster cycle speed and higher initial energy..

Ive been using VV340 and 115gr bullets at around 135 pf and the comp and ports definitely make a difference, though it might not be optimal. Have some 3n37 on the way to see if that will make any noticeable difference

For static steel with no bullet weight min run a 95 grain bullet with a powder charge similar to a 124 grain. This will get the comp to work. Will be soft and flat and get the slide velocity where it dosent feel sluggish

+1...I also do the same and you can really run down the PF with the 95 MG JHP to almost nothing, depending on your setup and springs.

Keep in mind that the compensator will always provide some reduction in muzzle rise no matter what gunpowder or charge weight you use. Gas pressure or volume does not need to reach some critical value before the comp starts to work. Comps don't have valves, just ports. They work better when more gas is provided for the same velocity (and same bullet weight).

Some basic principles of compensator function supported by empirical data can be found at the link below, as well as other links at that website.

http://38super.net/Pages/Compensator%20Function.html

Why would you need the comp to work shooting steel ?

That's exactly my point. Why can't I push a 95 or 115 at 1000-1100fps with a mousefart load and a really fast powder to produce a nice soft, accurate .22 like feel? Why do so many try so hard to produce enough gas to work a comp? If you are trying so hard to produce gas, why not just run major???

Bunny fart loads that light don't always work the gun as reliable as a little bit hotter round. The one I'm talking about gets that 95 grain out there in the 1350 range so its still under 130 pf. Works the comp well so it feels very good and still runs the gun reliably and the slide has some speed so it dosent feel sluggish.

Bunny fart loads that light don't always work the gun as reliable as a little bit hotter round. The one I'm talking about gets that 95 grain out there in the 1350 range so its still under 130 pf. Works the comp well so it feels very good and still runs the gun reliably and the slide has some speed so it dosent feel sluggish.

Slow or fast powder? Do you have a load suggestion for something this light?

My best scores in static steel have come from shooting MAJOR. To explain there is this thing called a dot it is best when the dot and the poi of the bullet are the same. That said if you persist in shooting minor make sure that you are not handicapping yourself by having to aim below the steel to hit it. Not counting my own mis-adventures on steel I have seen it over and over again with other shooters and I like it a lot cause I can whip them like a rented mule in the match.

On our last SSC type match 3 of the stages were Virginia count, go figure, I tore that match up and watched others with their 95gr bullets miss like crazy and one 5 second penalty for a round put you out.

In my mis adventures into minor steel I found that the impulse difference had me wondering if the slide would reach the end of its stroke as I waited patiently for it to close. Each match I would push it up a bit and at about 150 pf things started feeling good.

A 115gr over 5.6gr of Autocomp makes a good load @135 pf, pusing it up to 6.0gr made a better more natural feeling load.

For 38Super I liked 5.0gr of WST behind a 115gr pill.

Try some different ones out on a plate rack with the timer going then try your major load and see which one makes you faster.

For what it's worth, I just chrono'd my loads today.

Glock 17,Open division, Carver Major comp, 124 grn. Berry's bullet, 5.5 grns. Autocomp, average velocity from this pistol

with a Lone Wolf barrel was 1192 = 148 P/F.

Comp is working, obviously not to the efficiency of a major P/F load, but the dot stays in view on the C-More. Slight

muzzle rise. I watched a friend shoot it rapid fire and the muzzle rise seems to be a couple inches. Gaging the rise by

watching the end of the comp, could be a little exaggerated due to barrel tilt while unlocking?

Buddy and I are going back n forth over loading for static steel loads in our open guns. He runs 5.2 of N320 over a 115 JHP @ 1.165 in his comped shorty with WSP to create some gas to work the comp. load felt a little harsh to me for minor. I was wondering if you need all the gas, or if you can load lighter and not work the comp.

I'm a noob to loading, but I figured if you can run light, and the gun will cycle it,what's it matter if the comp works or not?

Please feel free to set me straight!

Did you ever try the Clays loads suggested here?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110443#entry1911097

No. I completely forgot! I will try this. Thanks!

Clays does shoot very soft, what I found was that Accuracy suffered, make sure you can hit something at 35 yards, and not a gong, maybe an 8" plate. YMMV as each barrel perfers a different load.

Edited by CocoBolo

Thanks cocobolo. I've been reading that E3 is fast, soft, accurate, and clean. Sounds like something I should try, right?

What ever you try be sure to test it with the timer, and make sure that the DOT and POI are one and the same at the longest distance you will shoot steel. Too many times we trust our feelings and guess what they miss lead us. The timer don't lie.