Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open gun with hammer follow

Recon'sHide

Well I am new to open and purchased an open gun rockin and rollin with it and now with 2k rounds down range HAMMER FOLLOW. I suppose this is my welcome to open---the gun is turning out to be bitchy. Never really had any gun problems in the past so I now know how some folks have the blues.

Really though a 4K new gun with hammer follow????

Oh well embrace the suck...its off to my gunsmith.

Hammer follow can happen on any 1911/2011...it has nothing to do with the fact that it's an open gun. Things loosen up as the gun gets broke in. My guess is that your gunsmith set it up for a light trigger. Assuming the gunsmith was a good one, it may only need the left leg of the sear spring pushed in a little. If the gunsmith was not a good one, then the sear/hammer may have been stoned too much or a few other things.

D

Well I am new to open and purchased an open gun rockin and rollin with it and now with 2k rounds down range HAMMER FOLLOW. I suppose this is my welcome to open---the gun is turning out to be bitchy. Never really had any gun problems in the past so I now know how some folks have the blues.

Really though a 4K new gun with hammer follow????

Oh well embrace the suck...its off to my gunsmith.

You can learn pretty quick how to adjust the sear spring! It is just maintenance. Your gun will be in the mail for days, sit in the queue for several days/weeks at the smith----nope it is a DIY fix.

If your hammer has been following, the sear has most likely been hitting the half cock. When you take your gun apart to bend in the left leg of the sear spring, you should also look at the tip of the sear to make sure that it hasn't been damaged (peened) due to hitting the half cock. If it has, you'll want to restone it.

D

After spending $4K I wouldn't touch anything. Call the smith you bought it from and tell him you have an unsafe gun you bought from him. Ask for a call ticket from him to ship it back (he pays for shipping both ways). Be polite but firm that he fix the gun. Stress the safety issue/

Pat

just for further support, I have a new open gun... about 1000 round it also started following. Same fix... it seems the left side of the sear sping needed a bit more bend to push the sear. took me a couple tried to figure out the right place to bend but it runs perfect now.

What kind of sear spring? For a year I chased hammer following problems. I have the commonly recommended EGW Colt Sear Spring, which is a 1911 width sear spring.

After 3 different ignition kits/trigger jobs, I finally learned that my sear spring was shifting in the 2011 grip under recoil.

I wrapped he bottom area of the spring in masking tape so that it had a snug fit when placed in the grip.

NO MORE HAMMER FOLLOW.

After discovering this, I found out that it is common, and tape, or peening the sides of a 1911 sized sear spring is common.

I tried the SV sear spring also, and the ball fell off in a day of shooting. Went back to the trusty EGW with target pasting tape. :)

When you pull the trigger- bang, slide cycles everything is good, then the hammer follows the slide down to its un-cocked position. You have to cock the hammer with your thumb or rack the slide to fire another shot.

Edited by a matt

just for further support, I have a new open gun... about 1000 round it also started following. Same fix... it seems the left side of the sear sping needed a bit more bend to push the sear. took me a couple tried to figure out the right place to bend but it runs perfect now.

Good to know...

Make sure the "grip screws" are not loose. If they are, the grip can shift slightly, and the hammer can follow. The screws should be tight and have Loctite 242 on them.

roger that...had one loose and lock tight to it...appreciate the info!

What kind of sear spring? For a year I chased hammer following problems. I have the commonly recommended EGW Colt Sear Spring, which is a 1911 width sear spring.

After 3 different ignition kits/trigger jobs, I finally learned that my sear spring was shifting in the 2011 grip under recoil.

I wrapped he bottom area of the spring in masking tape so that it had a snug fit when placed in the grip.

NO MORE HAMMER FOLLOW.

After discovering this, I found out that it is common, and tape, or peening the sides of a 1911 sized sear spring is common.

I tried the SV sear spring also, and the ball fell off in a day of shooting. Went back to the trusty EGW with target pasting tape. :)

Dude you hit it on the head!!!!!!!!!!! this is exactly my problem....Yeeehaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

NO MORE HAMMER FOLLOW.

Dude you hit it on the head!!!!!!!!!!! this is exactly my problem....Yeeehaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Roger that dude your on the money!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure the "grip screws" are not loose. If they are, the grip can shift slightly, and the hammer can follow. The screws should be tight and have Loctite 242 on them.

roger that...had one loose and lock tight to it...appreciate the info!

but did not fix the follow......but I know what it is now....I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Boys! Damn it having a super pistol and then she won't run I have learned is downright depressing!!! Really no shit, my wife has had to pep talk me for a few days now but after learning here that hammer follow is not a new phenomenom and certainly fixable, I now know what the exact problem is. Thanks to all of my fellow shooters for helping me outl...JaeOne3345 you da man!!!!!!

I will get chester to tape it and lets rock and roll...This open gun is the bomb!

Didn't I just tell ya that Dave :P

Hey Tim,

The problem is the sear spring is not seating in the grip securely and when firing it moves and allows the sear spring to come off sear...I will have this fixed tomorrow...you shooting Sparta this Saturday???? I will be there with my open gun---see you there. Time to rip some shit up!

no cant make sparta this weekend got work :(

ill be making a double whammy the following weekend though going to shoot either summerville or sparta then sunday drive to atlanta and shoot at south river

see what yall did to me lol

and then theres a 3 gun up near spartanburg the 2nd weekend so i wont be at mid car on the 8th