Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Load two" guys, how do you carry slugs/extra shells?

I have the big Chameleon with three sets of clips taken off the far left end since they are under my armpit the way I wear the belt and I (almost) never need more than 22 shells plus what is in the gun at the start. Given this, I carry my slugs on the far left clips, how ever many plus a few I need for the stage and my bird goes on the right. Have one BIG shotgun stage coming up in a match and if I don't miss (at all) I will have enough, but of course I want a few extra. The way I wear the Chameleon (low) I don't have room for weak-side caddies. I thought about putting a caddy on my strong side and tried it but loading that way felt really weird and I think I would be better off with a few shells just stuck in my weak-side pocket to fish out if needed. I also thought about a 4 or 6-up Tac-Com or something on my belt weak-side. Anyway, what do you do if your Otto, Chameleon, etc, won't carry enough shells for a big stage?

I'm not a pro but I used either a AP Customs 4x4 or a Choate 6 shell caddy as far around my weak side as needed to carry some extras. Whether they were regular bird loads or extra slugs. Usually didn't plan for carrying extra buckshot.

It feels odd reaching around like a single stack shooter searching for that last mag but it is much quicker than going for the pocket reload.

A mixed shotshell stage is the ONLY stages that you actually have to THINK. And if you don't think, it can get you in a whole lotta trouble. IE....buy steel, stage DQ or the worst....match DQ.

Just lately (very lately.....QUAD loading is my go to loading method. I used to load off an arm band and a side saddle of the shot gun. The later 2 are now my "extras" or.....in the event of a mixed shotshell stage; that is now where the slugs go. If stage calls for bird shot, slugs and buck....then I have 3 distinct places for the different types of shells. Loading brid shot is pretty much a no brainer and thats the QUAD set up.....anything else....I have to think and decide how to set up for the stage and what and when to load during.

Basically, what I am saying is.....on these special stages.....keep the 'special' shells in a seperate location to keep your self from getting into trouble. I still say that this is the reason why any 3 gunner needs to know and be proficient at a few different loading methods for their shotgun and pack their gear up for the match accordingly, cause you never know what you may be hit with.

Tim

PS.....one thing I've heard allot lately is that "I need room for my pistol mags"......think about this a minute, you are on a multi-gun stage. I'd lean towards favoring the shotgun loading and stick my pistol and/or rifle mags arounf my body to the rear. You won't loose much time reaching around for a pistol mag or a rifle mag as opposed to having it in front which is the prime real estate for your shotgun shells. And you can reach pretty far to the middle of your back for a pistol mag if need be. This ain't USPSA.....superman fast pistol reloads won't buy too much time as opposed to not having enough room for all the shotgun shells you may need.

Edited by TRUBL

PS.....one thing I've heard allot lately is that "I need room for my pistol mags"......think about this a minute, you are on a multi-gun stage. I'd lean towards favoring the shotgun loading and stick my pistol and/or rifle mags arounf my body to the rear. You won't loose much time reaching around for a pistol mag or a rifle mag as opposed to having it in front which is the prime real estate for your shotgun shells. And you can reach pretty far to the middle of your back for a pistol mag if need be. This ain't USPSA.....superman fast pistol reloads won't buy too much time as opposed to not having enough room for all the shotgun shells you may need.

That is great advice.. Thank you!

Edited by DarkPowder

On the Chameleon I would put slugs on one side, bird on the other, and probably leave a gap between them. If you have a belt caddy of some type, too, then you could put bird on the Chameleon and slugs on the caddy. I have a nylon sidesaddle on my receiver; for stages where I start with my slugs loaded in the gun and only need to worry about a slug reload in case of a miss, I will put the slugs on the sidesaddle (or the "Or $*!^" bolt-lock caddy) and bird everywhere else.

At Rockcastle there were bird/buck/slug stages. For those, I ran the buck exclusively on the gun (sidesaddle) and split the belt/chest caddies between bird and slugs as needed.

i separate either level or method if I can.

For Ozarks last year, I kept slugs in 4 shell caddies WAY left where my pistol mags were, and shotshell in 4x4 caddies center body.

For Noveske in Colorado this year, I had slugs in Qualoads on my belt, shotshells in Qualoads on my chest rig on the right and center, and I had buckshot on the far left of my chest rig. The order I shot in, was primarily to ensure I would minimize my chance at DQ'ing myself even if it added a couple seconds.

Thanks for the replys. Just to hedge my bets I ordered a couple 4-up TACCOMS (sans Tekloks, I can rob them off something else for now). I forgot I had an 8 shell armband, it got buried in my "big" bag I leave with the extra ammo and stuff in the car. I will pull it out and set the 4-ups, up and see what I like. I will also try a caddy set up on my left side/rearish and see how that feels. It is only one stage out of a nine stage match so I don't want to over think it but do want to be ready. Having to fish shells out of your pocket or squatting to pick up fumbles off the ground leaves a bad impression of you with your squad mates. One other benefit I thought about to having the 4-ups set for belt use was mentioned above. For shorter shotgun stages I can just run them and leave the Chameleon back on the cart, but have the same load-two set-up.