Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Striker broke prematurely - is this normal?

Bill Schwab

I recently started shooting a 40 Pro in Limited. I have to check the logbooks, but I have about 2k rounds through the gun. My striker broke already (of course right before the VA/MD Section match). I feel as though this is premature, in spite of dry firing 1/2 hour a day. Should I use the Glock cardboard trick for dry firing? Or is it more likely I had a defective striker?

What recoil spring are you using? Also when you look at the brass after firing are the primer hits a perfect circle or a tear drop. If you run a really light recoil spring the gun will start to unlock while the striker is still forward and the edge of the primer pocket will hit the tip of the striker. That premature unlocking scenario will cause the tip of the striker to get knocked off by hitting the edge of the primer pocket.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Not to preach but if you shoot competitively you really should have a spare parts kit in your bag.

<hanging head in shame> Yeah, I know. I just switched from 1911's to M&P's recently and dropped the ball on getting spare parts. Lesson learned the hard way.

Went through the logbook last night, and for the record the gun has 2300 rounds through it.

Bill do you need one right now? I am pretty sure I have an extra laying around until you get yours from S&W.

Wow, I really appreciate the offer to help. I think I am borrowing one locally, so I should be good, and someone else here on the board offerred to leave one at the VA/MD Section match for me to borrow. I tell ya, nothing but good people in this community.

CHA-LEE, you asked if the primer strike was round or teardrop shape. I thought the teardrop shape was normal for the M&P. Am I missing a warning sign that my pistols are sending to me and looking at an impending part failure?

Is the factory striker the best one available? I have seen these stories of broken strikers again and again on the various web forums.

I just wondered if there was an aftermarket striker that could hold up more reliably to the dry fire and live fire schedule of being an active shooter?

Is the factory striker the best one available? I have seen these stories of broken strikers again and again on the various web forums.

I just wondered if there was an aftermarket striker that could hold up more reliably to the dry fire and live fire schedule of being an active shooter?

I think the answer is to simply not drop the striker during dry fire. There are like 5 or 6 revisions of the striker at this point. I broke my first gen in VERY short order. Like less than 200 dry fire pulls. They sent me a replacement, and I picked up 2 second generation strikers on my own dime. Had a trigger job done with one of the second generation strikers in it. It's lasted about 40k rounds so far before my M&P 40 got semi-retired due to me getting a 2011. I don't think live fire is the issue if that makes you feel any better.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. I have been doing lots of dry fire work on one of my M&P Pros. It has stock parts, except for a 7 lb S&W sear. I've had this gun just over a year and it has a silver striker, with a live fire count of about 3,000 rounds. I was dry firing using a Laser Ammo cartridge and the tip of the striker broke off.

13220901_10154213350904700_2630029806139

Despite the gun now being in stock internal condition, I had an Apex competition kit and flat trigger installed previously, but I restored it to IPSC Production configuration for shooting it in that division (including restoring the factory striker block assembly a few hundred dry fires before the striker failed).

I'm not sure if the condition will recur but if there's anything I can do to reduce stress on the striker, please share your experiences.