Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder choice questions for 9mm

rdsii64

Hello folks, I've had my Dillon 650 for a while now and have cranked out enough .223 75 grain hollow points to take over a third world country by myself. Now its time to venture into uncharted waters and lay up a good supply of 9mm. My question is about powder selection. the bullets I have on hand are your typical plated 115 grain ball. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the base of the bullet is not exposed. What I am looking for is a burn rate that requires enough powder that a double charge will spill over the top. I'm not looking for a hot load, just trying to make double charges easier to spot. Does such a powder exist or am I being to paranoid?

You would have to look at the slower burning powders like HS6, AA#7 or AA#9, 3n37, Silhouette, etc. I know for sure HS6 would spill over if it was double charged since you would be in the 5-6gr range and anything over about 10.2 gets to the top and starts to overflow.

If you are watching the cases as they go by before you put a bullet on top of them, you should be able to spot almost any anomaly with the powder charge. I think that's a little paranoid and very limiting on your reloads to only use powders that will overflow. Slower powders usually don't do well at low charges.

There's plenty of powder charges that will cause you to fill a 9 case to the rim. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with a load? What do you plan to shoot it out of, is this for competition use, what make is your barrel?

+1 for power pistol. Nearly fills cases for 124gr bullets, but more importantly a good clean powder.

Don't fret over the double charge. Even when I load 3.5gr of Bullseye it's easy to spot if it happens. Just pay attention and stay in your rhythm.

Alliant Unique gets my vote.

I've used it for 95-147 gr bullets, jacketed and lead. Always with great results and precise metering through my Dillon 550B.

It's pretty well case filling with standard loads.

There's plenty of powder charges that will cause you to fill a 9 case to the rim. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with a load? What do you plan to shoot it out of, is this for competition use, what make is your barrel?

I'm shooting a Beretta PX4 with a stock 4 inch barrel. As far as purpose I"m looking for a general purpose range load. this is not for competition.

Clays should do...why not just get the Dillon powder check system???... A lot cheaper than a barrel or an injury...

I do use the Dillon Powder Check system and it has never failed me. I still like to eyeball the charge before I seat the bullet anyway.

If you have a powder check AND you're looking in every case before seating a bullet then you should go with a powder that works out a good load for your gun, even with 3.8gns of titegroup you will notice a double charge, and your powder check will definitely pick it up as well.