Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm barrel chamber too long

g mac

Hello,

If the chamber for 9mm 1911 pistol barrel is a bit long (no go gauge will go), is it still safe to shoot? Maybe off by 1 mm.

Thanks.

Edited by g mac

@yoshidaex: Yes, a sized brass drops about 1 mm or so pass the hood. The max length of 9mm brass is about .776"; a no go gauge is about .777" and the slide still closes with the no go gauge. I think, the chamber is at least .790" but below .800", so the chamber is at least .024" over the max brass length. I've shot about 50 rounds of regular loads of 9mm through without any problems or pressure signs. I guess, just like shooting a 9x18 round into a 9x19 chamber.

Looks like the round won't headspace off the case but will rely on the extractor to hold it in place.

Your situation sounds like several shooters that use 9x19 in a 38 super barrel.

They say it works.

Try a search. I think those posts explain it a lot better as to how the round will be held in place with a larger than normal headspace.

IMO I think accuracy will suffer

I have shot a ton of 9x19 out of a 9x23 barrel with no ill affects. Your extractor may not be able to hook the rim if a round gets in front of it, but on normal feeding I never had a prob. I do run a fair amount of tension on the extractor.

FWIW

Mildot

Just trim some off the back of the barrel till it fits! :goof:

I like your thinking.

I was going to advise buying 9x23 brass and trimming them to 9x20.

you will become a brass whore then.

is another barrel possible?

miranda

Thanks All for the replies!

Yeah, if it is still SAFE to shoot 9mm, then I'll leave it as is. I know that accuracy and all that might be affected. I wanted to shoot 9mm major, and didn't really want to ream the chamber to 38 super (which I can always do). My real concern was SAFETY regarding shooting with this a little long 9mm chamber (over pressure, kaboom, etc.,).

Have a good day!:)

StraightUp_OG, on 08 May 2013 - 7:54 PM, said:

HA! 9x20! ;-))

no to 9X20

if your doing that then it should be 9X20.5 like the .356TSW

now you got something weird for reason at all.

Edited by Powder Finger