Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magnum primers regular loads

tiger49931

can you use magnum primers in regular 9mm loads ?? if so how much do you down load the powder charge?? i cant find small pistol primers but found a few thousand small pistol magnum? didnt buy them for fear of blowing my gun up ..

I haven't tried them in Minor 9mm loads but in 9Major loads, I did not see any difference in avg speed/Power Factor. I would still back off a few tenths and try them but I doubt you will see much difference.

I found myself in the same position, and I bought 200 Federal Small pistol magnum primers to test out. Interestingly enough, IIRC, I gained 12 FPS for both of my common loads with Federal small pistol primers. I did decrease my loads before testing so they were about 2/10's under what normally made minor in my gun. They were minor 9 loads of WST and Titegroup using Bayou 124gr coated lead bullets at 1.140" OAL. Hope that gives you another point of reference. Take into consideration though, I'm not sure exactly what happens to max pressures of the load, even if the FPS is in a safe range, so keep an eye on your cases/primers for pressure signs.

I went through 5000 Wolf Magnum Small pistol primers last year with exceptional results.

I initially reduced my loads by 10%, but eventually worked back up to my standard small pistol primer loading with no signs of over pressure and great accuracy.

I actually prefer the Wolf Mags now and only wish I had picked up another couple of 5-10 thousand before this current madness. LOL.