Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting all A's as fast as Alpha-Charlie.

Ron Ankeny

I saw plenty of trying to win. Robbie won...and it seemed he did so by trusting.

Trusting what exactly? His shooting? That his hooting would be good enough to win? That his shooting would be the best performance he could turn in that day on that stage?

But don't forget that we are all very different in the approaches and methods we each use to actualize our latent tendencies. Some thrive on the idea of winning, and some thrive on the idea of performing. Doug Koenig wins matches because he shoots like Doug should - Robbie wins matches because he shoots like Robbie has to. Find your strengths and work within them. As a general rule - don't try to be something or someone you are not. Save that for when you have no other choice.

be

You want to win M class or better? Shoot points at your natural speed, and work on your natural speed in practice.

That is a truly outstanding sentence!

Reminds me of Musashi... Musashi Anderson...

;)

Me too. Thats why I quoted Steve here.

I also remember, after reading Brian's message above, a scene which has remained with me for years as the ultimate pistol shot. It was one of those Sunday afternoon, nothing else on television, hunting shows. Fellow was hunting wild boar somewhere in the South. Our hero, walking through the grass and detailing how dangerous the boar could be, draws and shoots in one smooth as silk motion. Dropped the boar with one double action revolver shot from a .44 magnum at 75 yards, and it just looked so natural.

Something a little off the thread but something that comes from shooting mostly A's:

The top shooters are not winning matches because they are shooting A's at .17 splits... I have a few Nationals on tape and I would bet that most splits on a normal 10 yard target are closer to .22 splits the same target that most of these guys can shoot .16-.18's in practice. They are winning matches because there is no doubt where the shots are when they leave an array... with no distractions and only positive thoughts they can win the stage with movement and precision. My thoughts are this. If Erik or Todd are shooting a target with a .22 split why are we trying to shoot the same target at .18? Erik has the fastest feet in the game, but he can't use his feet if he isn't confident with the shots.

As far as A's go, 95% of the points sounds like a good approach. However, I have finished courses where I thought I had almost all A's with no "hopers" at all. Things changed when the targets were scored. Half of the targets had 1 C each just a little outside the A scoring zone. I was still happy with the run, I just needed to get my vision checked the following day. :ph34r:

Some of my best stages happen when I "just shoot".

Just shoot means something specific to me. I shoot as efficient as possible, seeing what I need to see tomake the hit, with little regard to what is "fast or slow".

Yep

No regard for expectations or the worst word in high performance shooting, trying.

Just shoot is the key for me too. I know we have all had experiences similar to the one I had last Sunday. I wanted to kick butt on a particular stage so I went into warp drive. Shot it in 6.27 with a couple of D's and a Mike.

It was the final stage and when everyone was finished I asked the RO if I could shoot again with a different approach, just for kicks. On the second run I slowed way down, got some awesome hits, but I felt like I kind of fumbled the reload. Yeah, you guessed it, the time was 6.12 seconds. Nothing new.

In many sports, "trying harder" gets you further.

Similar to golf, "trying harder" during an IPSC competition is often not beneficial to performance.

Conversely, Steve A has an interesting video interview on his site with TGO where he essentially says the he (TGO) got mad after the Dark House stage at the Nationals and then won several stages in a row (I'm paraphrasing). It sounds to me like he "tried harder" and it worked!