Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

opening ports

EEH

Movement . . . . . . . . . . . .Taking more than one step in any direction, or changing
body position (e.g. from standing to kneeling,
from seated to standing etc.)

It would be a stretch to say finger movement is the same...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was one that tossed the prop at the wall and missed. Had to take it out with my hand.

I sure don't see a rule that talks about shooting props. If you aim at the prop it's not an AD.

You can't just DQ a shooter because they did something you don't like. They have to have violated a rule, and you have to write down that rule number on the scoresheet. If you put 10.4.6 on the scoresheet and the shooter wasn't moving, he's going to file an arb and be back in the match.

Yeah, I agree with Sperman, I'm sure they'll get off on that one and it will be all for nothing. Nik and Lee have a good point with 10.6.1 and would probably be the only option if the shooter was not moving...that would be a lot of arguing depending on the RM.

Movement . . . . . . . . . . . .Taking more than one step in any direction, or changing

I was being somewhat of a smartass about the finger movement. You had to move to position the gun to shoot at the object. Your moving!

Josh the stage creator, 6'8" tall and 285 SOLID pounds, was not happy about people throwing and smashing his props together. I would not want to be between him and whoever started shooting holes in his props....... :ph34r:

You can't just DQ a shooter because they did something you don't like. They have to have violated a rule, and you have to write down that rule number on the scoresheet. If you put 10.4.6 on the scoresheet and the shooter wasn't moving, he's going to file an arb and be back in the match.

The OP asked if you could shoot blocks of wood in a wall that have to be removed to see USPSA targets to engage. If you can't see the targets and you had to get the gun in position--your telling me their was no movement......

And who said anything about DQ a shooter for something you don't like.

I'm getting the drift you would condone shooting the blocks out to open the ports? Tell me I'm wrong or did I miss something?

I was being somewhat of a smartass about the finger movement. You had to move to position the gun to shoot at the object. Your moving!

Negative, you could have stood still from the start position, drawing is not considered movement.

Josh the stage creator, 6'8" tall and 285 SOLID pounds, was not happy about people throwing and smashing his props together. I would not want to be between him and whoever started shooting holes in his props....... :ph34r:

Hehehe...no kidding, this phrase keeps going through my head..."Hulk Smash!" :)

Negative, you could have stood still from the start position, drawing is not considered movement.

Could you point me to the rule that states that?

What if the shooter isn't moving?

his finger moved! He had to move to get the gun in position. Don't over devil it....

Surely you jest.

You gonna DQ a guy for a late (or early) shot during a transition between two targets because he was "moving?"

Edited by spanky

I'm getting the drift you would condone shooting the blocks out to open the ports? Tell me I'm wrong or did I miss something?

I certainly would not condone shooting the blocks out, but I need a rule to support a DQ. 10.6.1 would probably work, 10.4.6 would not (assuming the shooter isn't moving per the definition in the USPSA rulebook.)

What if the shooter isn't moving?

his finger moved! He had to move to get the gun in position. Don't over devil it....

Surely you jest.

You gonna DQ a guy for a late (or early) shot during a transition between two targets because he was "moving?"

see my later post......never said that or implied it as you stated your question, but if your late (or early) shot a wall 6 inches before the port opening or the end of the wall----what target are you engaging ? What do you call that shot or action?

I certainly would not condone shooting the blocks out, but I need a rule to support a DQ. 10.6.1 would probably work, 10.4.6 would not (assuming the shooter isn't moving per the definition in the USPSA rulebook.)

:cheers: When does movement start and stop according to the USPSA rulebook? How did the shooter get to the position of shooting the blocks out?

When does movement start and stop according to the USPSA rulebook? How did the shooter get to the position of shooting the blocks out?

:cheers:

I don't see anything on movement starting and stopping. It just says about getting into and out of positions, moving from one location to another, etc. How did they get to the position? It was the start position and they could have shot from there without movement.

I sent an email to DNROI for clarification and hope to report back soon...

The shooter can not shoot from the start position it is not inside the FFZ. So if he shot from there it would at the least give him procedurals.

Brian

But it was in the shooting area...

Ok, got a response back from DNROI. Interestingly enough, he stated he would have declared an FA if it occurred, added it to the WSB, had the shooter reshoot the stage and then zero anyone after that. As far as movement, he just stated that it starts when the shooter starts to move and ends when the shooter stops but no details other than that. Any time in-between that, the finger must be off the trigger. He also added that if anyone asked if they could shoot the blocks/boards out, he would have said no since that was not the intention of the stage, it was needing physical input from the shooter and shooting the symbols out is not considered physical input.

I hope we can all be satisfied with this and move on...I am...

So... we're stating it's ok for ONE shooter to intentionally shoot a prop, and in this case break one of the laws of safety by shooting a wall without knowing what was behind it, so we can create a FA?