Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a .38S to a 9mm

Hello All,

I’m new to the sport of USPSA and having a lot of fun. Also, this is my first post. I just picked up an Open Class Gun. This is what it has - Caspian HybriComp 38Super top end on Tripp Research 2011 frame. Hard Chromed frame and slide. Second complete top end Nowlin comped barrel in 38Super setup for shooting steel minor. Optima Dot sight mounted to slide, SV modular trigger. Custom grip with Dawson Magwell. Arredondo thumb rest, "PowerPack" sight mount and mag followers. 3X 140mm and 1X 170mm mags. Email me and at djc02848@yahoo.com and I can send a video of the gun.

With all that said I need a little advice on changing it over to a 9 – Why you ask? Ammo / brass. I also have about 8k round of 9 brass. I will be shooting USPSA and anything else I have time for. After reading so much about different barrels and there is so many choices and models to choose. It makes your head go in circles. I do under stand that the most important factor is fitting of the barrel, bushing, slide and the frame.

If you owned this gun what would you do to it? What do I need?

I do re-load so that won't be a problem. I think I will be ok with my mag’s if I load 147g at .1190.

post-47703-0-90738700-1367721035_thumb.j

post-47703-0-79218700-1367721044_thumb.j

post-47703-0-64732800-1367721173_thumb.j

You just need a 9 barrel. I would lighten the slide by means of Tri-topping and / or slots to cycle faster. I wouldn't get a barrel with those big holes, and I would probably get a 4 or 5 port comp too if it were mine.

Most likely it would be in minor. I don’t plan on running with the Top Dawgs on World Shoots or anything like that. Just kick my friend’s butts. I do like the idea of having a compensator. I have shot many and I feel that they do make a difference.

Most likely it would be in minor. I don’t plan on running with the Top Dawgs on World Shoots or anything like that. Just kick my friend’s butts. I do like the idea of having a compensator. I have shot many and I feel that they do make a difference.

I asked this question because you mentioned you were going to use 147 grain bullets. Here are some tip for getting the least recoil (muzzle rise).

If you're using a compensator, the formula for the least recoil (for the same power factor) is a light weight bullet and a large charge weight of slow burning powder. Compensators use gas to work their magic, and more gunpowder means more gas. Lighter bullets, in the 124, 115 grain range would work better than your 147 grain bullets.

The formula for less recoil for a gun without a compensator is just the opposite. Here, gas adds the recoil, and testing shows that heavy bullets produce less recoil for the same power factor than light bullets. Here is where your 147 grain bullets would shine. This formula is a heavy bullet with a light charge weight of a fast burning gunpowder. Less gunpowder charge weight for the same velocity means less recoil.

These principles are discussed, with data, at the link below.

http://38super.net/Pages/Recoil.html

• 2 weeks later...