Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where are the Primers?

XDman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see primers coming back where I am. A local shop has "oodles" of all types and brands but they've raised the price to $43/k. The pricing is flat regardless of brand or type of primer (Federal, Winchester, CCI/ Small Pistol, Rifle, Magnum etc... all $43/k). I'm not willing to pay that high of a price just yet, but it's encouraging to see them in such quantities. I asked if I would get a price break for 25k small pistol primers. They said no discount but they definitely had no problem selling me that quantity or more.

Also came across some VV N320 and grabbed four pounds, but had to pay almost $9/lb. more than I'm used to.

Also came across some VV N320 and grabbed four pounds, but had to pay almost $9/lb. more than I'm used to.

that price is a typo right?

Not a typo, but I had been paying $28/lb and had to pay $37/lb (ie. about $9.00 more per pound than I had previously paid).

Also I paid for four individual 1lb bottles, but usually try to find it in 4lb jugs.

Yep. :( I had my own order canceled post ordering. Tried to order 10k SRM/223 and 10k SRM/556, both showed in stock and processed in the order.

Didn't (try to) pick up pistol primers as I'm OK there, and wanted to hope some other shooters would get some.

Want to disallow placing items in cart for 'back-order'? This isn't rocket science, it's trivial with a few lines of code; I'm quite sure they can afford it.

I'm now back to looking for rifle primers after having my order canceled with no recourse except leaving a voicemail at some supervisor's desk.

Meh - bad taste in mouth at the moment. I like that PV isn't gouging, no problems on shipping delays, but not happy on this one.

RTP - that does kind of suck. BTW - I think their on line ordering system is pretty sketchy, too. It is still set-up for taking back orders and won't limit quantities of primers you are able to order.

Not sure if there is any real recourse, but back before this unpleasantness I'd just call my orders in and they were always very helpful and customer oriented - answered questions about products, helped maxing out haz mat shipments, once had a billing error and they were good to work with on that, and I goofed up on a previous on-line order a few weeks ago and they gave me a call to straighten it out. Maybe if you contacted them you might be able to work something out. Might be worth a try.

RTP - that does kind of suck. BTW - I think their on line ordering system is pretty sketchy, too. It is still set-up for taking back orders and won't limit quantities of primers you are able to order.

Not sure if there is any real recourse, but back before this unpleasantness I'd just call my orders in and they were always very helpful and customer oriented - answered questions about products, helped maxing out haz mat shipments, once had a billing error and they were good to work with on that, and I goofed up on a previous on-line order a few weeks ago and they gave me a call to straighten it out. Maybe if you contacted them you might be able to work something out. Might be worth a try.

They did call me, ironically after I'd posted a few places to let people know they have primers 'now,' and I asked them to just remove whatever they claimed was out at time I pressed submit, but no good. Only option was 'I can forward you to voicemail of a supervisor,' which I took, but of course, too late to correct any portion of the order.

I like PV in general, but I've written e-commerce systems and it really isn't rocket science to fix their system, to allow their management to point and click to 'disallow back-orders' or 'allow back-orders' as they see fit, and have the system honor it. That along with time to call but not time to correct the order (which had already 'reserved' inventory for the other line items) leaves me a bit speechless.

Widener's and a few others really aren't much better, sites stuck in the mid-90s. No (easy) way to just refresh the primers inventory, or just show all primers or bullets in stock irrespective of brand is sort of silly.

Sorry, still annoyed by this, worse because of the time wasted and knowing how easy it is to fix their system + the 'service' experience. I know everything is chaotic at the moment and have some sympathy for the vendors as well - used to run an online business..but if they can sell do $250,000 in business in the span of an hour (10,000 x $25/1k on primers alone), they can afford to fix their site to not piss off people who got an order confirmation and order placed.

Maybe it's time to take up a side job - fix their sites in exchange for components? :D

Meh. Will keep looking, and not derail the thread further.

Edited by rtp