Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL550B primer catch

Why can't Dillon come up with / supply a long lasting reliable part for the spent primer catcher pin? My original one was mangled a while back. I've used a few paper clip sections, but it seems everything eventually gets mangled and the chute gets jammed in the open position, allowing spent primers to go wherever they like.

I was just loading a few small test batches with a new (to me) bullet, and mid way through had to stop, break off one end of the mangled paper clip, grab the other with a mini vise grip plier, and pull it out. Not wanting to make the trip down stairs in search of another paper clip (I'd run out of usable sections), I found a piece of solid core wire thin enough to thread through the chute. It probably won't hold for long...but it worked for the night and the next time it gets mangled, this wire should be much easier to extract.

It actually gives me an idea...I wonder if aramid yarn would survive in that role. It's flexible yet very durable. Tying it off at each end might be a PITA though.

I know, people say to use a safety pin...but I've never found one the right size. They're either much too small or large.

• 11 months later...

Even the paper clip not working for me. Any other ideas? It's better than the wire that was there. But lots of spent primers and primer junk are gumming up my primer feeder.

The primer residue gumming up the primer slide is a separate issue from the primer catch issue. Even with a properly functioning primer catch, primer residue seems to spill out and end up under/around the primer slide. I'm still using solid copper wire to hold my primer chute. It's been the most reliable/longest lasting solution for me.