Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cabela’s Case Tumbler Model 400: Am I missing something?

For a newbie reloader like myself, what’s not to like about Cabela’s $75 Model 400 Starter Tumbler Kit ? From reading the 334+ reviews, 280 folks give it 5 out of 5 stars and 43 give it 4 out of 5. That ain't bad satisfaction!

One question: After you separate your clean, shiny brass from the media, do you do anything else to it prior to reloading? Looks a bit dusty so do you run a final water rinse then leave to dry?

Nothing wrong with that at all.

However, given a choice I'd use an enclosed sifter as the used tumbling media is one of the main sources of lead exposure and the less you have to handle it it the better off you are. I use a cabela's and once you get the hang of it you don't even have to touch the media.

Similar kit with an enclosed tumbler. (unfortunately out of stock....): http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00038502024

After tumbling, give the cases a squirt of hornady one shot lube and load 'em up. :cheers:

FYI, Last I checked the Cabelas tumber and their enclosed seperator are made by Berry's (the plated bullet people). The motor in their tumblers is a cheap Chinese part and will fail with prolonged use. Save your receipt, if the motor dies within 3 years Berry's will replace it under warranty. Mine lasted just over three years before it died. I was kind of ticked that I had to toss it in a land fill because I couldn't find a replacement motor but those are the times we live in. For the price, you can't go wrong.

I've got one of the enclosed seperators - green Cabela's model - and it works like a champ. They are also excellent for seperating stainless pins from brass as I haven't lost a pin using it. Also have a Cabela's 400 tumbler, hope the motor lives ??

If you rinse both out after seperating corncob/walnut from brass it will cut down on dust as it tends to stick on the plastic and rinsing will then get rid of it.

Edited by Steve RA

Add one or two teaspoons of mineral spirits to you media and let it run for about 15 minutes, before you add your dirty brass. The mineral spirits helps keep the dust down. Some people like to add strips of used dryer sheets to help capture the dust and dirt from the media.

Just throw 1 or 2 USED Bounce dryer sheets into the tumbler (change after every batch of brass). It not only keeps the dust down, but extends the life of the media too.

I've been doing this for years, and no, I didn't come up with this idea, just use it.

Edited by RePete

Been using the Cabelas tumbler and enclosed separator since 2009 when I started reloading. Works good, isnt too loud.

I switched to walnut, instead of corncob, I use car wax polish and the dryer sheet tip above as well.

Edited by DWFAN

The same tumbler's been fine for me - you may save a few $ buying the tumbler itself on sale. I've fit around 700 9mm cases in at a time. Added a capful of Nu-Finish polish, and a few dryer sheet strips.

I'm not sure that media separator is worth all that much, better to get a rotary tumbler enclosed on both sides...the cases will fill with media and 'swirling them around' with an open top just makes them stand on end, rim down - you'll find a cover of some sort after the first few times to add some 'shaking' in into the mix, or... Cabelas has one right now around $30...they all seem to be made by the same (likely Chinese) company and re-branded, except for Dillon's, which looks a bit nicer if a bit more $.

It is indeed still relabeled from Berry's - good tip on the Chinese motor - not much of a surprise there, right?

The sifter in the cabela kit the original poster linked to works OK. I used a lyman one that is identical to that for years over a big kitty litter pan, but again it is best to not handle the media more than necessary and the enclosed ones work great.

BTW - I see that the Midsouth Shooters Supply link I posted above shows their kit with the enclosed media seperator is now in stock.

Edited by Bamboo

I am new to the forum and just getting out of the newbie status when it comes to reloading so I though I would give you my take on the cabelas kit. I recently purchased the kit when I compare it to a friends Frankfurt Arsenal model the Cabelas is much better IMO. I have tumbled a few thousand cases so far using the included corncob media and polish. The cases come out shiny clean and I am couldn't be happier with its results. I have been using the pan separator it came with and find it works just fine. I put it over an ice cream bucket and then scoop a couple hand fulls of brass/media into it and stir/shake the brass around a bit until it is media free. The biggest thing I noticed with the separator pan is it works best if you do not put too much brass in at one time and it also does not work all that well with rifle cases because of their length and neck, but works great for pistol cases. I am sure experienced loaders will find the pan separator a PIA but for a beginner I find it completely adequate and kind of a stepping stone into the next level.