Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST 5.2 Grains STI Edge

johnny1gun

I started loading .40 for the first time with WST out of a custom Edge. The problem is Ive had to load 5.2 grains to make major. My OAL is 1.20. Crimp if any is .420. I have not seen any signs of pressure. What Im finding on here is people are maxing out at 4.8 to make major. With one gentleman going to 5.1. I hear talk of pressure being a problem. Has anyone had to load to this to make major? Has anyone had a 1911 or 2011 gun blow up using WST? One side note. I had to load a couple grains higher loading my .45 ACP as well with WST to make major. I wonder if its where I live?

Load shorter and you will make major with 4.8gr.

If it works, don't change anything.

Most failures I've seen are due to weak/cracked brass.

Edited by CB45

Every barrel is different, 7.3 in my old open was 174 PF. New pistol same load was 182, backing down to 7.0 did the trick. My .40 load is 4.6 with lead , 4.8 with MG. Remember WST is reverse temp sensitive.

Good Luck

Every barrel is different, 7.3 in my old open was 174 PF. New pistol same load was 182, backing down to 7.0 did the trick. My .40 load is 4.6 with lead , 4.8 with MG. Remember WST is reverse temp sensitive.

Good Luck

I chronographed yesterday. It was 87 and a lot of humidity.

With a 180 moly bullet at 1.180", it takes me about 4.9-5.1 to sit at 170-173 PF.

Everyone's barrel is different. I too found my numbers different than everyone quoting 4.6-4.8, but hey, it is what it is.

That's where Im at.

4.6 of WST 185 Precision Moly 1.185 .420 crimp = 171 PF

4.8 of WST 185 Precision Moly 1.185 .420 crimp = 175 PF

Both using Winchester brass and WSP primers.

70 degrees, indoors using ProChrono Digital with the Indoor Lighting System, 20 shot strings

STI Edge 5"

I saved this post from Cha-Lee:

• 2,631 posts

Posted on 6/22/12

I shot Clays for a long time using Zero 180gr FMJ, 4.6gr drop on a 1.225 OAL. This is a nice "Soft" major PF load that worked well for a few years. I did have 3 - 4 case head separations while using Clays though. (jmbaccolyte edit: He shot tens of thousands of rounds during this period)

I did a bunch of testing with VV N310, VV N320, and WST trying to find an alternate load that would have the same "Soft" feel as the Clays load I was using but didn't have the same spiky pressure issues. VV N310 felt softer than Clays but just barely made major PF and the primers were very flat telling me that this was already at the ragged edge of being over pressure. VV N320 didn't have any pressure issues, shot very clean and easily made major PF. But the N320 powder had a more harsh "Thump" type of recoil feel when compared to Clays. Much to my surprise Winchester Super Target (WST) had the exact same "Soft" recoil as Clays but had zero signs of overpressure and easily made major PF. The only down side to WST is that it is dirtier than Clays, but cleaning the gun a little more frequently is not a big issue. The only thing you have to watch out with WST is that it is very temperature inverse sensitive. The hotter the temp is the slower the velocity gets so you need to do your chrono testing with "Hot" ammo to make sure its still making major when hot.

My new load for major PF USPSA loads is using a Rainier Ballistics 180gr FMJ Round Nose bullet, 5.5gr drop with a 1.225 OAL. This load consistently produces a 170PF in hot temp conditions through my 4.75 inch barrel EAA Witness Limited. I will be using this load from now on and will enjoy many thousands of rounds of soft shooting ammo that is not at risk of case head separation.

EAA Witness Limited .40 S&W

USPSA L3320

Edited by jmbaccolyte