Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 doublestack

njrich

I don't know what your budget is, but I'd go with an STI Eagle or even the STI Edge. Better quality components. While the initial entry price is steeper, upgrades are cheaper and for the Edge, I don't think you'd need any.

With the Para, it'll cost big bucks to checker the front strap. Some people are fine with skateboard tape, and if you're cool with it, then maybe the Para will work for you. I hate grip tape. The grips on the Para kinda suck too. Meanwhile, if just pay $5-10 for a woodburning tool, you can stipple the heck out of your STIs grip. All the internal parts on the STI are better and will require at most, light touch up. Can't say the same for the stock Paras I've seen so far. Also, the beavertail grip safeties on Paras don't seem to come as high as the ones on the STIs. IIRC, adding a magwell on a Para is expensive too.

Overall fit and finish on the STIs seem better too. On the stock Paras I've seen, I've sometimes noticed the barrel fitting just didn't seem as good as on the STIs.

Furthermore, STI's contingency prize program is pretty nice too.

Then again, I haven't exactly had a very scientific sampling size. If you can live with the Para's deficiencies, it can be a cheaper way to go. If you do decide to go with a Para, I'd go with one of the Dawson/Jarrett ones from www.dawsonprecision.com . It looks like Dawson works them over a little to make the a little more competition-ready.

Para from Dawson - $1000

STI Eagle from Dawson - $1600

STI Edge from Dawson - $1700

A lot of people start off with a Para and then do some work to it, $$$, buy extra mags, base pads and a mag well. Then after some time, if they stay in the sport and want to get better, they sell it for a loss and buy a STI or SV. If you add it all up they paid much more overall to have the gun they wanted in the first place. So my suggestion is to skip the Para and go for a STI or SV from the start.

I know, I have had 3 Para's at different times and now own 2 STI full dust cover guns.

If a new STI or SV is not an option at this time because of money constraints then look for a used one, Para, STI or SV, on the for sale sites.

Try to shoot other's guns to see what you like before purchasing. I purchased an Edge with full length dust cover and I found out - after I bought it - that I didn't like the weight and preferred a lighter gun.

I think the S_I guns have better mags than the Para's, but that's just been my experience and YMMV.

If budget is an issue, and it often is when starting out in a sport, used para's can be a great place to start.

If you can find one that someone else has gone through and been shooting for awhile you can get a reliable gun and mags for a very reasonable price.

If budget is not an issue, call Brazos Custom, you can't get any better.

Al

If you are just getting started, then you may want to get a used Glock 17 and start in production. After a season or two, you may decide to go straight to open. Buying a double stack .40 is just the begining. A reloading press is next. If you want to get your feet wet first, you may save a lot of money in the long run. If you are going to jump in head first, then get an S*I, you won't be sorry later.

budget isn't really an issue and i did shoot for 5 years from 87 to 92.

i used a les baer custom 45 back then.now i'm thinking i'd like to be able to compete in limited and l10 but with just one gun to start out with.i know once i get started again and a couple seasons from now i'll get crazy and buy an open.but for now i'm looking to start in those 2 divisions and also teach my son with it.he's a big boy(14)already 5'11 and strong enough to handle a major load.hmmm budget might be a problem i still have to feed him :rolleyes:

If you still have your singlestack use that till you are dedicated and back in 100%.

The glock is a good option for L10 and production as you should be able to pick one up cheep.

If you are wanting a full on limited gun an S_I is IMHO the way to go.

Make sure you dont want to go ahead and go open before you invest a bunch into limited.

For me i used to shoot a Para 'Limited' P14-45 for the last 7 years or so. At this point ive shot out the barrel and the firing pin stop has enlarged the slot so much that even an oversized stop drops in. My future plans at to put on a Caspian slide and a bushing 40 S&W barrel. I already need a new slide and barrel, so my investmen will be limited to just mags. Ill have to load some longer .40 ammo, but that wont be a problem.

Glock 35 or Glock 20 (with an aftermarket 40 barrel).

I wish I could use an aftermarket .40 barrel in a G20, but I don't think caliber conversions are allowed.

I really like the larger grip on the G20 over the G35.

Allowed for what? USPSA Limited or Limited 10?

Putting a 40 barrel into the 10mm G20 is not a caliber conversion...they are both the same caliber (0.400). Legal for USPSA Limited/10.

• 2 weeks later...

now the awb is gone, magazine companys are working on some stuff for the caspian high cap.

for all those like me, who think a 1911 type gun should be steel(or at least metal) the caspian high cap is an option.

Travis T told me that they are working on new production 140mm tubes for limited...NICE.