Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buy a CS shadow or build your own?

ProGunGuy

I am not sure which way to go. I would like a CZ custom sp01 shadow. its got all the goodies already. The other way i could go is to buy a Sp01 and build my own out of parts.

So which way seems to be the way to go?? the difference in price between and CZC shadow and a Sp01 is about $500.

I'm not sure which pistols you're comparing, but the factory SP01 is $578 and the factory SP01 Shadow is $880, difference of and for that extra $302, you get a different hammer, trigger, sights, safeties, extended mag release, an extra mag and no firing pin block; you can take out the firing pin block on an SP01, but then it's no longer Production legal. Anything I'm forgetting???

I've got a Shadow on order from CZC with their SRT installed and at the same time my shooting buddy ordered a stock SP01, so when they get here, we fully intend to do a side by side comparison and I'll post our findings here.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I'm not sure which pistols you're comparing, but the factory SP01 is $578 and the factory SP01 Shadow is $880, difference of and for that extra $302, you get a different hammer, trigger, sights, safeties, extended mag release, an extra mag and no firing pin block; you can take out the firing pin block on an SP01, but then it's no longer Production legal. Anything I'm forgetting???

I've got a Shadow on order from CZC with their SRT installed and at the same time my shooting buddy ordered a stock SP01, so when they get here, we fully intend to do a side by side comparison and I'll post our findings here.

thanks for the reply

I am comparing the $1200 shadow custom and the regular Sp01.

I have the SP01. I wish I would have bought the Shadow from the beginning. I've put enough money into the gun, that I think if I bought the Shadow in the first place, I would have paid less.

If you're going to buy an SP01, you are constantly going to try and make it like a Shadow. You will never get it just like the Shadow ( especially if you're shooting Production, and cannot remove the FPB ).

Buy the Shadow. Take it from someone that wishes he did...and is getting ready to buy one himself.

There are differences between the standard SP01 and SP01 Shadow frames.

I compared the Shadow I have to a standard SP01 of a friends.

The beavertail area and trigger undercut area are slightly different.

I don't think its worth the price difference so my back up is gonna be a used, SP01 with all the parts to convert it to a Shadow.

I think all of the differences have been noted in the thread. My question would be, what do you want to do with it? If you want to shoot production, I'd definitely recommend the Shadow.

About a year and a half ago I bought an SP-01 Shadow Custom from Angus. I went in thinking I just wanted a regular Shadow, but I think the extra $300 or so is worth it. If you bought the stock Shadow, you'd probably want to upgrade it to all the bells and whistles the Custom has anyway at some point, and it would cost more in the long run than just getting the Custom from the get go.

My opinion, if you can afford the Custom, go for it. You will love it.

So the SP01 Shadow that comes without the FPB is production legal but the standard shadow that does come with the FPB, once taken out is not production legal?

In a couple of years or so, i will be in the market for a CZ75 for production and i really like the $900 SP-01 Shadow.

Depends on what you want to do with the gun.

$578 new gun

$170 action job

$130 sights

$85 grips

$25 guide rod

$7 recoil spring

$47 magazine

$30 ext mag release

$40 85c trigger

$70 ext ambi safeties

$10 drop free magbrake

This is a few of the things that would needed to done to make the SP01 shadow like.

A little more than the $1200 for the Shadow.

It can be done cheaper if you find some deals and can do the work yourself.

If you are going to use it for production, save yourself the time and money and get the SP-01 Shadow Target Custom from CZC then get the SHRT installed. You will be very very happy. Ask me how I know.

So the SP01 Shadow that comes without the FPB is production legal but the standard shadow that does come with the FPB, once taken out is not production legal?

Correct. If you want a 9mm competition gun, the shadow makes more sense.

I wanted a .40 competition gun for production, so bought a cz75b in 40 and tricked it out.

You will not be disappointed. The CZC shadow I got few months ago was ordered with the SRTS and I could not be happier! And they also have great customer service!