Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

flying with gear?

BillR1

I'll be traveling next week to an out of state match. This will be my first one that's "flying distance". I've traveled with my guns before so that's not a concern. I'm curious how to go about transporting my range bag. My muffs, glasses, extra barrels/parts, snacks, scoresheets and other stuff are all carried in my range bag at a match. Do I just stuff it into an extra suitcase? Other ideas? Thanks in advance!

I pack my range gear in my checked through suitcase and us my range back as carry on. Make sure it is empty and shack it upside down to verify no bullets come out of a pocket or seam. I also take along a back pack as carry on.

I have a suitcase just the right size for my range bag and hardshell locking guncase that holds primary and backup. Everything is in the range bag. I have found the odd bullet in the strangest places and don't want to deal with a TSA panic by taking any chance with a carryon. It helps to know the procedure for checking guns on your particular airline. i find that many employees do not have a clue.

Since the guns will be required at the match , I over-insure them with the airlines. It's amazing how much attention one piece of luggage can get when insured for $50,000.

It gets hand carried to the plane.

It gets signed for by the departing grounds crew.

It gets hand carried off the plane.

It gets signed for by the receiving grounds crew.

It gets delivered to a separate area inside the terminal, not dumped in with the rest of the plane's luggage.

You have to sign for it when you pick it up, picture id required.

IMHO it's a good deal for $15.

BC

Since the guns will be required at the match , I over-insure them with the airlines. It's amazing how much attention one piece of luggage can get when insured for $50,000.

It gets hand carried to the plane.

It gets signed for by the departing grounds crew.

It gets hand carried off the plane.

It gets signed for by the receiving grounds crew.

It gets delivered to a separate area inside the terminal, not dumped in with the rest of the plane's luggage.

You have to sign for it when you pick it up, picture id required.

IMHO it's a good deal for $15.

BC

Serious? How do you do that? At the ticket/baggage counter?

I've never shipped range gear before, but like said abovE, I've used USPS to ship climbing gear. It's (knock on wood) always been where I need it and when I need it. Just put a insurance on it and it should be fine. That way you don't have to deal with carrying it around the airport or to the airport.

Yes how do you do that, I have flown to many matches and never had a problem. BUT for $15 I would do that.

I use two hard suitcases one for the guns, ammo and range bag, one for all my STUFF.

• 1 month later...

When I flew to my first sanctioned match in Florida I had 1 bag for all my stuff. I had a 2nd suitcase for my range stuff. In there was my range bag (with everything already in place), my gun (in a hard case and tethered to the inside), a little bit of ammo and some general items like my vest and belt. I had previously shipped most of my ammo to the location.

Basically it was 1 bag for clothes and 1 bag for shooting. And having my range bag inside of the suitcase made it so easy. There was nothing to re-pack or organize. Bag was all set up and ready to go, just had to take it out of the suitcase, bag up my gun and off I go.