Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of going from contacts for shooting to RX shooting glasses

KentG

I have been wearing contacts for 35 years . I have glasses I wear during the time I need to give eyes a break. At 52 I cant wear contacts 24/7 like I used to even with the latest brands. I practice with my glasses which are not true safety glasses. (no lectures please I only use them at paper or straight on to plates and when alone so the chance of splatter is as low as possible end of that part of discussion)

I cant ignore anymore I seem to see better with my glasses shootiing than contacts. Both scripts are up to date and from same doc. Contacts do great at distance like outdoor stadiums. ANYWAY i would like to hear from anyone who has a pair of Project Rudy, and does not sell them, with the RX Interchangable or a similar setup. I have located a local Project Rudy dealer and have found my RX has a partner who is a WileyX dealer. AND Im not going the Lasik route yet. Im just interested in RX shooting glasses.

Hey Kent. I don't use the Rudy Project glasses but let me put your mind at ease about something. Most all modern Rx (and OTC readers) glasses offer reasonable protection for shooters. If they fail anywhere it's that some of them are not designed to keep the lenses from being popped out of the frame backwards (toward the eyes).

I'll be honest and tell you i use CVS reading glasses for my shooting. I found the 2.5 makes the front sight crystal clear....Course, next year I'll probably be wearing the 3.0.

As for Lasik, well tomatoes tomatos..I had lasik done several years ago. I'm really not that impressed with the results...I think it's wise to alter your body ONLY when absolutely necessary.

I have a pair of ESS CrossBow with the prescription insert which I like overall except for one problem. My left eye, which happens to be my dominant eye, has a pretty bad astigmatism. when I got the inserts in from ESS I thought they botched the prescription because the left eye wasn't quite right; close but still not perfect. I brought them along to my last eye exam and explained the situation and the doc measured the lens and found that it matches the prescription perfectly, then explained that the problem is the SHAPE of the lens. the insert is small and has a curve to it that's more pronounced than my usual glasses. I guess with an astigmatism that makes a difference and that's why things don't look right. they had some really nice Oakley lens setups that have the prescription ground right into the outer protective lens but they were $$$$$ and I'm not going to drop that kind of money on something to potentially have the same issue.

tried multi focal contacts? they work for me, everybody is different thou...

jj

just a thought (no lecture) about no safety glasses; did you think about the possibility of your gun blowing up? There are many more reasons for having eye pro...

I went the other way, still wear glasses but went to contacts for shooting and other outdoor stuff. I was amazed at the better field of view I got with contacts and like the choice in shooting glasses. Also tuned the right eye for a perfect round, clear dot. I did get some looks from a nurse as i held the gun frame to do the fitting. I think your big question is field of view.

I wear contacts for shooting for one simple reason, when shooting from unusual positions in competition, sometimes you end up looking OVER the lenses of your shooting glasses. If you're using the glasses to provide vision correction, well, there goes your nice clear sight picture. Not a problem with contacts.

When I needed glasses for shooting I went to my eye doctor who helped me with a pair of perscription safety glasses. He had me bring my pistol in and assisted in determining extactly what I needed to be able to see the sights and target at the ranges I normally competed at. The frames I picked out look like regular eye glass frames and the lenses are safety rated. Now I can't read that well with these due to them having less magnifcation than my normal reading glases but for shooting they work perfectly.

Being safety glasses my insurance policy paid for all but the $35 co-pay. Check with your eye doctor, he made be able to do the same for you.

Edited by retarmyaviator

tried multi focal contacts? they work for me, everybody is different thou...

jj

just a thought (no lecture) about no safety glasses; did you think about the possibility of your gun blowing up? There are many more reasons for having eye pro...

I use multi focal in my right eye and I like it. IF my gun blows up its on me. I still wear glasses just not true safety glasses with side shields. My work RX safety glasses are terrible. The company buys the cheapest lens in the world so I just do contacts and throw away safety glasses.

I use photochromic lens in a pair of Libertysport frames. It's large coverage is great for visibility and protection and the automatic tint is useful when shooting outside, I participate in IDPAs that have both indoor and outdoor stages.

I looked at the Rudy stuff at my eye doc and after talking to the guy who does their lenses he advised me that my script would not work well in a wrap type frame. I went with a pair of large safety glasses that have excellent field of view and standard side sheilds. No bifocal and we shall see. My right eye uses contacts with a monovision and my power was borderline so she bumped them up one level. Should know next week or so if it was a good investment.

Edited by KentG

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at the Rudy stuff at my eye doc and after talking to the guy who does their lenses he advised me that my script would not work well in a wrap type frame. I went with a pair of large safety glasses that have excellent field of view and standard side sheilds. No bifocal and we shall see. My right eye uses contacts with a monovision and my power was borderline so she bumped them up one level. Should know next week or so if it was a good investment.

So, did it work? Those of us that are sight-challenged need to know!

• 2 weeks later...

I wear oversized Liberty Sport frames with transition lens. I used to wear contacts but they shift during tennis and I get momentary blurred vision. My normal glasses aren't big enough for chin tuck look forward posture