Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Brake Opinion's

Mechanic

Graham I would have to disagree with you on that.a break makes it very easy to make your corrections at range if you miss your target(as long as your not so far you don't see impacts). No one should shoot without hearing protection thus making your gun louder is moot.

A JERKED TRIGGER IS A MISSED TARGET, SOME SHOOTERS ARE NOT AFFECTED BY RECOIL, AND SOME WILL ANTICIPATE RECOIL FLINCH OR JERK THE TRIGGER.

ITS JUST A MATTER OF ONE YOU ARE! ME I LIKE SHOOTING ALL DAY SOMETIMES AND GOING HOME WITHOUT THE PAIN. A 308 WILL PUNISH YOU AFTER A 100 ROUNDS OR SO.

All I can say is that the majority opinion in the precision rifle community I am acquainted with is pretty much against the use of a break. Any place I have shot where someone has one, they get no end of grief from everyone else because of the noise and the blast. I've had my log book nearly blown away from the side blast from someone else. And, they are illegal in some competitions.

Fact is, I do use a Vias break under some circumstances, but it has virtually no added noise and serves only to slightly reduce the recoil because I have a touch of arthritis. When I first started shooting long range, I had a lot of problems with recoil, but some time spent with a tutor got me in a much better position which helped a lot. The other thing that really helped was a butt pad - not for the padding but for the increased LOP, which was my primary problem in the first place.

All I can say is that the majority opinion in the precision rifle community I am acquainted with is pretty much against the use of a break.

Weird. The last PRS match I shot, there were more brakes than anything. Brakes, then suppressors, then plain muzzles. And out of ~70 rifles, I bet less than 15 had nothing on the end of them.

Edited by DWFAN

Weird. The last PRS match I shot, there were more brakes than anything. Brakes, then suppressors, then plain muzzles. And out of ~70 rifles, I bet less than 15 had nothing on the end of them.

I guess we are just shooting and dealing with people in two very different arenas. I've mainly shot with people in the police and military arena as well as NRA competitions and the like. I did look at PRS a couple years ago and was rather under the impression that breaks and suppressors put you into some kind of Open division. Perhaps this has changed or I simply had some bad information.

But I still rather think of a break as something that is generally not needed. If there is a specific need for it, then that's a different story.

I would echo that brakes are everywhere and certainly accepted. They DO reduce recoil yes, but more then anything it reduces muzzle jump / rise etc. I know that is partly a product of recoil . But that's the main reason i use a brake. To me it's just a given that there will be significant noise on the sides . Just like hot brass hitting you sometimes it's one of those things at the range that everyone deals with and lets go.

I've mainly shot with people in the police and military arena as well as NRA competitions and the like. I did look at PRS a couple years ago and was rather under the impression that breaks and suppressors put you into some kind of Open division.

The NRA is anti brake and suppressor for sure. LE/Mil does not care for brakes either as they are loud and can mess you up shooting indoors. The past few deployments I have noticed a huge increase in door kickers using suppressors.

Most all bolt gun matches run heads up. Maybe a special award for Top 308 or Top Semi, but nothing to bump you into Open. I normally shoot with a can. For big matches I run a brake.

I've been trying to update myself on this because it appears that the term "Precision Rifle" has broadened out to include things that used to be called Tactical Rifle or Practical Rifle, etc. That's a big difference in function and equipment and suitability to purpose is what is important.

There's never been a one-size-fits-all answer for anything, but when people are using the same words to describe very different things, it gets much worse. Even a word as oft used as benchrest has a whole new meaning when you start getting into it.

Edited by Graham Smith

Im Saving For A Muzzle Brake For My Savage 10FCP .308 Any Recommendation's,I'm Leanin Toward's a Grizzly

He's asking opinion's on different brakes not if we think we need them or not.

A JERKED TRIGGER IS A MISSED TARGET, SOME SHOOTERS ARE NOT AFFECTED BY RECOIL, AND SOME WILL ANTICIPATE RECOIL FLINCH OR JERK THE TRIGGER.

ITS JUST A MATTER OF ONE YOU ARE! ME I LIKE SHOOTING ALL DAY SOMETIMES AND GOING HOME WITHOUT THE PAIN. A 308 WILL PUNISH YOU AFTER A 100 ROUNDS OR SO.

WHAT I COULD NOT HEAR YOU?

LOL

Actually I find .308 very pleasent even for hundreds of rounds. I do want a muzzle brake for one reason though. So I can see the targets explode when I am shooting water jugs. With a normal barrel I can't see it happen because of recoil. With my .223 and a comp its awsome.

Pat

YES SIR, I HEAR ON 308 BEING PLEASANT, I USE TOO FEEL THE SAME WAY. NO CALIBER WAS TOO MUCH, THEN YOU GET OLD AND USED UP LIKE ME.

I WISH I HAD KNOWN ABOUT BRAKES ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO. NOW IF I WANT TO SHOOT A RIFLE, IT HAS TO HAVE A BRAKE.