Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Brake Opinion's

Mechanic

Agree with Graham Smith about the blast effect from muzzle brakes. Shot in a competition years ago and 2 guys teamed up both had muzzle brakes on their rifles and they were a major PITA to shoot next to because of the blast effect.

Unless you have some underlying condition a muzzle brake on a .308 rifle is really not needed....but if you have your heart set on one I would recommend going to Al Warner (Warner Tool Works)in Keene, NH or George Gardner(GA Precision) in Missouri to get one installed.

Also to lessent the effects of recoil shoot off a soft bag rather than the bipod when in the prone or off a bench. You'll get less of a jump that way and the rifle tends to push somewhat straight back into your shoulder rather than bouncing all over the place as it does shooting off a bipod..especially when shooting on a hard surface.

Ok, the OP wants a brake and is using it on a bolt gun. Bolt guns and semi autos have different needs from their brakes. In bolt guns, the down force is used to push the rifle down against the bipod or sandbags, or the back of your least favorite brother in law. Also a bolt gun brake is only taming the recoil from a single impulse. The brake on a semi auto has a more complex role. There are several recoil impulses experienced with a semi both on the back side of the recoil movement and the front side. Dwell on a semi auto can help tame not only the initial push, but also the secondary hit of the bolt carrier reaching the end of it's rearward travel. But the story doesn't end there with semi auto's. There is a forward impulse as well. After reaching full rearward travel, the bolt must be launched forward again by the operating spring. It pushes off from your shoulder, adding to the felt recoil and the movement. The fourth impulse is the bolt slamming into battery, driving the rifle forward and sometimes down. So for a semi there is a delicate balance of dwell, long enough to help with the 3 rearward pushes, but not so much down force that the muzzle is driven into the ground. The OP is asking about a comp for a bolt gun, which means... the sky's the limit. I've tried the Ross brake on semi and bolt applications. There was way too much down thrust for the semi, and it was just about perfect for the bolt gun. Cool part is they are cheap, so give it a try and see how you like it.

I have a Holland brake on a Rem 700 and it works very well. I also have one of Benny's brakes on my AR-308 and it also does very well. If my 308 bolt gun had a threaded muzzle I would stick Benny's comp on there in a minute and give it a try. I think there are a lot of options out there, and you will probably be pleased with which ever one you try as long as you are buying a quality unit. As for being on the line with them...If you are beside me, too bad for you....If I am beside you, and having to deal with your blast, well that's just not fair!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Its hard to go wrong with a brake these days as so much research has been done. Apa, rd, vais, badger all work very well. As far as noise? No free lunch. Mine cost me a $200 tax stamp and never had a complaint from anyone shooting near me!