Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ issues

nathandewalt

I was looking at ordering an sp-01 shadow custom. I have had good guns in the past and they all have their problems.

Anybody had any reliability issues as far as parts wearing out. I have a bad problem of having gun issues at area matches and that's part of the reason for me considering switching. Do these strike harder on the primers than say a glock or m&p because I have been running Tula spp s.

Also accuracy is somewhat of an issue for me. If I shoot an alpha from 20 yards with a gun that will only shoot 5 inch groups at the distance it may end up a Charlie. What kind of groups are normal for these guns?

Anything else a perspective buyer should know or consider?

Thanks

Tula primers may be a bit much for a worked over action. It's probably possible get to run, ut trigger may not be as nice as it could be.

Factory Shadow is capable of 5 ",group at 50 yards from ransom rest.

also accuracy is somewhat of an issue for me. If I shoot an alpha from 20 yards with a gun that will only shoot 5 inch groups at the distance it may end up a Charlie. What kind of groups are normal for these guns?

I don't know much about much, but if I had a gun that would only shoot 5" groups from 20 yards I would give it to one of my competitors and buy something that sucked less. My experience with cz's has been that they shoot better than almost all shooters. If you miss, you can't blame it on the gun.

Regarding the primers..... if you insist on saving 1/2 cent per shot by using crappy primers, then you will have to do your own research. For sure, my cz with lightened mainspring does not strike the primer as hard as my M&P, but I don't buy crap primers. It lights off every cci, fed or winchester primer every time, without issue.

Not sure about the primers but I can attest to CZ accuracy. I sold my glocks and am in the process of selling my m&p after putting about 8,000 rounds through my CZ Custom SP-01. Unbelievable accuracy. Reliability, I've only cleaned it once in those 8000 rounds and that was a quick going over at best. Not a single hiccup. In my opinion (which is worth what you paid for it), with CZ, you won't ever blame the gun. I can't say that for some of the others.

I run almost exclusively Tula primers (it is what I have) and NEVER have issues. I am however running a CGW extended FP and lighter spring along with a 11.5# spring.

I'm going to try an 8.5# spring just to see what I can get away with.

Get the extended pin from CGW or CZ Custom and don't look back!

also accuracy is somewhat of an issue for me. If I shoot an alpha from 20 yards with a gun that will only shoot 5 inch groups at the distance it may end up a Charlie. What kind of groups are normal for these guns?

Regarding the primers..... if you insist on saving 1/2 cent per shot by using crappy primers, then you will have to do your own research. For sure, my cz with lightened mainspring does not strike the primer as hard as my M&P, but I don't buy crap primers. It lights off every cci, fed or winchester primer every time, without issue.

Not sure really what constitutes "crap primers" when I pull the trigger, they spark and light the powder contained in the cases...

I would put any primer I could purchase in a case these days and not be a Primer Snob about it...

some primers are soft some are hard. Fed are the softest ( you can use light springs to get a better trigger pull) Tula primers are on the hard side. you have to use stronger springs( this make your trigger pull harder then it needs to be if you were using Fed primers). My CZ85 has a 5.5 lb DA and 2.75lb SA trigger pull, but I only use Fed primers.

Is there a chart or list anywhere that compares the relative hardness. I just started reloading and I've been using CCI and S&B since that's what I've been able to find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good question... I'd like to see one too, but given how unreliable powder charts are you never know if you can trust it...

The gun is pretty accurate. You can expect under 2" groups from 20 yards if firing off a bench rest.

The known parts to wear out prematurely are slide release and trigger spring, you should have spares. My 1st SP-01 developed a problem after approx. 25,000 rounds: the sear cage started moving within the frame. A visit to a good gunsmith had fixed that.

Is there a chart or list anywhere that compares the relative hardness. I just started reloading and I've been using CCI and S&B since that's what I've been able to find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146365entry1667772

Edited by GrumpyOne