Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting requirements before shooting a match?

lugnut

The more I think of this, the more it bothers me. How do you justify no D or U shooters? Seriously. Based on prior witnessed performance? Based on a view point of all D or U shooters. I'm seriously asking. If you can IM me I'd appreciate it, because right now it just seems to me, and others, you just want yer own club with its own rules. Not being antagonistic, really want to know how and why you came up with it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being classified in USPSA tells me nothing about safety, honestly. Admittedly if someone is an A or GM, I would assume they have reasonable gun handling skills... but just because someone is a D doesn't mean they are unsafe at all.

As the OP I was simply asking if it makes sense to let a new shooter (possibly brand new to guns) jump into a USPSA/IDPA match without any experience. I encourage getting some basic "practical" skills before diving into a 32 field course. Some folks have posted great ideas. Basic requirements make sense to me personally.

As the OP I was simply asking if it makes sense to let a new shooter (possibly brand new to guns) jump into a USPSA/IDPA match without any experience. I encourage getting some basic "practical" skills before diving into a 32 field course. Some folks have posted great ideas. Basic requirements make sense to me personally.

I'm thinking someone brand new to guns would be SERIOUSLY overwhelmed by what is required in USPSA. I know that in our local area, people who are new to shooting are often carefully directed to try GSSF-style matches (locally we have almost-GSSF matches with GSSF stages but no requirement that you use a Glock handgun) and Steel Challenge matches in the rimfire divisions.

After they get comfortable with those (no drawing from the holster, no reloads on the clock, almost no movement at all), we then suggest trying Steel Challenge in a centerfire division, and THEN USPSA.

Kinda trying to work them up to the demands of a USPSA match. Like I said, that's for people new to guns.

We tend to use the same sort of competition-difficulty ladder for people experienced with guns, they just might not start at the bottom. It is certainly true that many shooters new to competition would benefit from a safety clinic for USPSA that has them drill some basic draws, reloads, and movement interspersed with shooting. We give a safety briefing at our matches, but we all know what happens when the Brain Reset Device (aka "timer") goes "beeeeep!"

Safety Check or Safety Briefing is one thing, not letting Us or Ds shoot because you don't want to be bothered by them is another.

I totally agree. I don't think anyone here disputes that a safety briefing is a great idea. I can tell you now that I would never go shoot a match at the club that refuses D and U shooters. Partly because they wouldn't let me, and partly because I would feel like an idiot! I am brand new to this sport. First match I shot 24%. Terrible. But I was safe the entire time. I was slow, and I had a few Mike's on the first stage (Virginia count), probably from nerves (first time that buzzer went off was anxiety inducing!). By the fourth and fifth stage I was hitting almost all A's. But no one made me feel stupid or unworthy of competing. They all joked with me and encouraged me and freely gave advice. So I want to go back. Maybe I'll shoot 30% this time. Still not a C or anywhere close to it. But I think I am still worthy of trying, and I am not a safety hazard. The guys at the club where I shoot USPSA have been really great. I'd like to see more women compete, but attitudes like that will hinder women from trying.

Safety Check or Safety Briefing is one thing, not letting Us or Ds shoot because you don't want to be bothered by them is another.

I am brand new to this sport. First match I shot 24%. Terrible. But I was safe the entire time. I was slow, and I had a few Mike's on the first stage (Virginia count), probably from nerves (first time that buzzer went off was anxiety inducing!).

I'm brand new also and 24% for your first time out strikes me as pretty good especially if you consider 40% appears to be what gets you into the C Class. But, yeah, I'm in the same place you are. I'm new to the sport and my primary issue is speed, not safety. I'm approaching USPSA Production and Steel Challenge with the idea that i just want to get into a good pace where I'm safe and accurate. I'll let overall speed come over time.

I figure I can make up some speed early in my learning process by becoming more efficient with things like magazine exchanges. If I try and move myself quickly through the stage itself, I tend to lose track of my front sights and hurts my accuracy and total score.

We have classes for RO and SO's, with that said. Patients is a virtu, as an RO, SO or Competitor.

I ran around with a gun my entire life, well not the first 8 years :lol: . When I first heard about USPSA and that there was a jump test, (that was in the nineties). The Guy Scared me off. I told him,Troy a local gun dealer, he was nuts! Kept me out of the sport for 10 or more years.

New shooter's need to be handled with kit gloves so their feelings and ego's don't get hurt! and for sure so that they are not embarrassed. Because we want our sport to grow, right!

I'm not saying let them run wild on the range. I'm saying, it's not my Marine Corps boot camp. :cheers:

At our ranges, we make all new shooter's watch a match first. Than if they com back, they get a short class on the range commands and safety rules. That is it. And in my opinion that is all they need to start. The RO or SO needs to be vigilant and do their job with the Newbies. They, the RO or SO keep everyone safe, is that not why they are there? Than, if the Newbie comes back, we strongly recommend that they take the RO or SO class to help them understand the sports better. I find that Newbie's are alway more aware of safety, to the point they go ultra slow.

My point being, better RO's and SO's make us all safer on the range and a sport that is pure joy to participate in.

Jensey if yer ever in Ohio, would be a pleasure to shoot with you. Maybe we put all the lowly shooters on one squad so a GM can baby sit us. Still amazed.

Thanks!! I will keep it in mind! ;-)

I am brand new to this sport. First match I shot 24%. Terrible. But I was safe the entire time. I was slow, and I had a few Mike's on the first stage (Virginia count), probably from nerves (first time that buzzer went off was anxiety inducing!).

I'm brand new also and 24% for your first time out strikes me as pretty good especially if you consider 40% appears to be what gets you into the C Class. But, yeah, I'm in the same place you are. I'm new to the sport and my primary issue is speed, not safety. I'm approaching USPSA Production and Steel Challenge with the idea that i just want to get into a good pace where I'm safe and accurate. I'll let overall speed come over time.

I figure I can make up some speed early in my learning process by becoming more efficient with things like magazine exchanges. If I try and move myself quickly through the stage itself, I tend to lose track of my front sights and hurts my accuracy and total score.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have the same philosophy as you, start slow, speed will come later!

I've RO'd and I been section coordinator. I pleased to say that we in Texas South Section turn away no shooters. At the start of any match, all new shooters are identified and taken aside for a safety breifing. Then all new shooters are put at the bottom of the shooting order. When their time comes to shoot it's shot more like a walk through...could almost toss the timer in the trash (but we don't). Almost without exception all our shooters (C and better) are willing to coach, encourage, critique yadda yadda yadda. New shooters are the future "A" "M" and GM's"...New shooters will become RO's, MD's, Section coordinators in other words...the back bone of the sport. New shooters should always be welcomed, accepted, encouraged to shoot and encouraged to return. And that's all I got to say about that. (thx forrest gump.)

If a club turned away new d- or u-shooters I would have never started this sport. I took a new shooter with me to a match last month,finished 3rd from last..Only had 4 mikes in the whole match...Only thing if I never started shooting I would have a lot more money...

If they don't have a USPSA # and at least C class rating, I am not inclined to let them shoot.

If your local matches are so hard that you won't let a new shooter on to start out, maybe you should think about adjusting to create a more neutral shooting experience. You want them to go somewhere else to get experience and just push the problem off to another club?

It is not fair to the RO's who will have give them "special" attention and to anyone else if they do something dumb and hurt someone (even themselves).

If the ROs are not there to help foster the sport and new people and take the extra time to help new shooters, what are they doing to help grow the sport?

We all started out as U's and didn't know our asses from the muzzle. Just because we get a little better doesn't mean we forget where we came from.

Plus 1 here

I don't know where Roy got all that he said, I am the guy that does sign up for the matches and I don't turn anyone away unless they are too late and the match has already started. That said we do request that absolutely new shooters come out to a couple of our practice nights to get some training on commands, safety and the way things are run. The only times we have had any trouble is when we have had two or three new shooters end up on the same squad and really slow them down.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

My first match was awesome....never seen or heard of IPSC, then saw a couple of guys at a pistol range practicing, I told them that looks fun, they invited me out to a match the next weekend. I showed up with gun holster and two mags. They gave me a safety briefing (5 Min), which consisted of the 4 safety rules and said do not handle your gun except on the line when RO says so, or in the safety area.......I watched, shot and learned....RO's were helpful, gave me instructions on how to shoot the stage and that's it.....What a blast, since then, I founded two clubs, built a range, became a range officer and filled in for several years as Section Coordinator.

Glad I was't required to take a class (I might not have tried the game).....people require more respect from the start, only if they demonstrate lack of brains should they be turned away, I have never turned anyone away from shooting one of my matches and hope I never have too. I do however offer classes for those interested, some people like this route others don't need it. Offer it but don't require.......Most "A" personalites ie.. YOUR future SC's, RO's, Club Officers, workers are quick learners and can be offended if treated like children.....they may go elsewhere and shoot skeet or something which would be our loss.