Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG P226: 124's or 147's

Higgins

Don't shoot any lead, jhps for best accuracy, and fmjs for practice.

All of the SIGs I've shot, have been most accurate with 115s, which really sucks, because every other 9mm I own, prefer 124-125.

All of the SIGs I've shot, have been most accurate with 115s, which really sucks, because every other 9mm I own, prefer 124-125.

Why is lead a problem?

My standard P226 seems to shoot 147's better than 124's. The point of aim/impact with my sight setup the 147's work best. Tried some factory 115's but I like the recoil impulse with the heavier bullets.

I feed my SIG all kinds of crap and it runs, everything from lead, moly, plated and jacketed. Lead bullets are my last choice but I'll use them without hesitation if money is tight in both my SIG and my expensive Limited gun. Nowadays its hard to get any jacketed bullets so I'll shoot whatever I can find or have on hand.

The only problem I can see with lead bullets is the smoke and gun cleaning afterward

147 Gr Plated Rainier Ballistics hollow points and TRNs shoot extremely well at around 130PF out of my 226 and my 228. Both guns shoot point of aim with the factory sights and will keep easily around 3" off-hand at 25yards if I run the trigger well. Woudn't mind experimenting with lighter bullets accuracy wise but the heavy stuff seems to make tracking the sights easier.

I usually shoot 124gr MG JHPs in my 226, but I recently shot an X5 Allround with 124s side by side with 147s. I can't attest to the accuracy difference (it was only 10 rounds in each weight), but the recoil impulse was incredibly soft with the 147s.

Edited by JAFO

I have 226 nitron and an X-5 they both shoot whatever I put in them. Both very accurately!! 147 give that gentle push but the 124's snap the sights back faster. Splits are slightly faster with 124's. I use the same spring with both loads. I do run the 124's at about 140 power factor cause I shoot the gun better there!!!! JMO

If your a c or D uspsa shooter the 147's may seem easier to shoot. Most the guys I know that are high C or better shooters shoot the lighter bullets

• 2 weeks later...

Why is lead a problem?

Because it is smoky, and makes a mess of my dies and barrels. :surprise:

My P226 has eaten everything from LRN 115 to plated 147s without a hiccup. I've pushed them from wimpy to hot as well and the sig just keeps chugging along.

Yes lead can be dusty but if you experiment with powder you can find one that doesnt produce so much dust.

if you run a 147 anything slower than a factory loading then your POI will be lower than POA.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooops I failed to mention I was using plated berry's 115's, not jacketed. And looking back on my load data, it was Ranier 124gr Plated HP's that gave me problems, not the plated berry's 147's.

The X5 has a wide bore. No matter what I put in it, its always slower than any other comparable 5" gun I have (STI Trojan, Glock 34, XD Tactical). And I do mean considerably slower, like 50 to 100fps. But I get better velocity and accuracy with plate lead bullets than I do jacketed. Especially the Berry's 115gr double struck. I push AA#2 or VV n320 powder behind it. When I change to the 147gr plated, it groups way low, and I have the fixed sight tactical so I can't just adjust the rear.

When I had my P226 Blackwater Tactical, it rocked the 147 berry's. It grouped like a bullseye gun. But again waaaay low. Like hold 12 high and hit 6 low.

Sig P226 Blackwater Tactical (4.4" bbl) Loads:

115gr Berry's MFG Doublestruck Platen RN

4.6gr VV n320

1.143" COAL

Light Crimp

Asst Small Pistol Primers

90gr Hornady XTP

5.8gr AA#2

1.071" COAL

Medium Crimp

CCI SP Primers

*Insanely fast, bullseye accurate, LOUD, low "flat" feeling recoil, great results on steel

115gr Montana Gold JHP

5.2gr AA#2

1.123" COAL

Light Crimp

147gr Berry's MFG Plated RN

3.4gr AA#2

1.142" COAL

Light Crimp

115gr Montana Gold or Precision Delta FMJ

4.4gr vv n320 -OR- 5.2gr AA#2

1.142" COAL

Light Crimp

The worst load I had was with the Ranier Plated 124gr HP's, loaded with AA#2 to 1.060" COAL, with a light crimp. I did a few different runs with powder charge between 4.1 to 5.2gr's, and adjusted the overall length in and out a bit, and went from light to heavy back to light. This was the only load I couldn't ever get right or find a sweet spot. The accuracy was alway less than desirable, and I had feed issues.

Another bullet I had problems with accuracy and feeding was a 125gr Rucker's Lead RN.

Edited by lee blackman