Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Aid kit

Atlgentlegiant

Does anyone have a good place to get a quality first aid kit or would I be better off building my own? I have the same question out to a couple of EMT buddies now. My needs are for myself and potentially to cover injuries of others I am shooting with. I do have current first aid and CPR training and over the years have received a lot of other first aid type training (dive and sports trauma entry level stuff). I have seen a few threads here and there about this but none really recent. I know the ranges we shoot at have kits but you never know what condition they are in. And yes I know to be much more concerned about wood splinters, skinned elbows/knees and cardio problems than anything gun related. If I buy a kit I would prefer US made from a known good source rather than some of the cheap junk I have seen too much of lately.

Edited by Atlgentlegiant

Maybe these people have something you could use:

http://www.redcrossstore.org/shopper/prodlist.aspx?LocationId=115

I keep the pocket pack in my shooting bag. I've added something in it for bee stings and a Neosporin pocket antiseptic sprayer. I keep a much larger and complete kit in the car. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had to get the larger kit, but I've restocked my pocket kit several times.

It really depends on your level of medical knowledge but much cheaper to build yourself. 90% of my range first aid kit is for trauma. If you aren't familiar with treating people I'd just get a good kit from any of those links.

I carry a GSW/blowout kit in my range bag. Tourniquet, quickclot, Isreali pressure bandage, Kerlix gauze, scissors. I have a separate booboo kit with bandaids, sunscreen, etc. Gunshow has best prices on blowout kit stuff.

I have an assortment of good size band aids, tape (both waterproof and sports), alcohol wipes and gauze. I carry this in a little blue Adventure Medical dental bag because its what I had. I keep baby wipes in the big range bag in case of blood or mud getting all over me.

I might later add a small sample of headache & diarrhea meds and some Advil for my knee. I probably should add a sewing needle and tweezers and nail clips for splinters and finger nail issues.

I carry a GSW/blowout kit in my range bag. Tourniquet, quickclot, Isreali pressure bandage, Kerlix gauze, scissors. I have a separate booboo kit with bandaids, sunscreen, etc. Gunshow has best prices on blowout kit stuff.

Just watch out for cheap knock-off TQs.

I'd say your best bet is to buy a pre made first aid kit and then augment it with the other stuff you need / want. The first aid kits will have all of your basics, and maybe even some stuff you didn't think of. Big thing is they will generally come with a bag or box that organizes things. being able to find what you need quickly is very important. Some people can get to much stuff in one bag and not be able to find anything.

I have more than one kit. I have a small kit that can easily be carried that has the basics for everyday needs, and a few things that can treat larger wounds. Then I have a larger kit that will cover just about anything I will need. The first kit can be gotten to quickly, and allow me to stop bleeding etc. until I can get help, or get to my better kit. A small kit on your person is better than a big one in your trunk that may not be very close.

Edited by Tuflehundon

The best first aid kit in the world is useless without the knowledge to use it properly and almost anything beyond bandaids takes some training.

A quick clot bandage along with some direct pressure and the understanding of how to use it is probably the most useful thing to have on hand.

I have a tourniquet in my bag at the range, but I would not advise that if you don't know how to use one.

I bought a compact Level 2 first responder kit from Galls to have as the "SHTF" bag in my car and a mid sized FAK from Red Cross to have in my range bag. I will augment the RC kit with a few items. As for training I have been through several first aid training sessions starting in boy scouts, adding to it when I got lifeguard certified, added more after my family saw a person die in a bulldozer accident, added some dive related first aid when I was doing some technical diving and finally have picked up some tips from some first responders and medical folks I know. I am current on CPR/AED from AHA and Red Cross (had to have RC cert for work). I know I am far from an expert and that in a life threatening situation the best tool I have is my cell phone but just wanted a little higher level of prep in my own kit.

Build your own.

I have yet to see one that comes with tampons and pads for gunshot wounds.

Quick clot is great if you know what your doing, otherwise its a nightmare at the ER.

As mentioned its cheaper and you can taylor it to your needs and level of training.

Tampons, pads and diapers along with vet wrap are going into the kit as soon as I can get to Tractor Supply and the grocery store. During my latest Red Cross class I had an interesting discussion with the trainer who dismissed tampons and pads as effective. Falling back onto my discussions with my first responder folks to customize my kits. Of course at most of the matches I shoot I am much more worried about splinters, scrapes, slide gashes and someone over exerting themselves in the heat. No separate Quick clot agents and no tourniquets as I cannot find any records of one being needed at any of my local matches for the past several years. Guess I also need to add some Hello Kitty band aids for some color for for a bit of color too.

• 2 months later...

A couple weeks ago I ripped my finger open on a screw protruding from a stage door, and had to wonder around asking for a first aid kit. I strongly recommend springing for better bandaids than those included in first aid kits. The Nexcare bandages and Tegaderm is great for sealing off tears, scrapes, and cuts on movable areas (like fingers). LA Police Gear had reasonably priced bags along with an assortment of individual items to build your own kit at a fraction of the cost.

Without any specialized first aid training (beyond what I received through the years in the Boy Scouts), I decided to skip the more technical items that I couldn't use. Mostly stuff to handle cuts and scrapes, with just a couple items to address severe trauma until someone more competent arrives.