Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FNH SLP Mk1, Cantilever mount removable?

flopduster

Doesnt a 24" barrel put you in open class?

What puts you in open is a magazine fed shotgun, speed loaders, an optic, or a compensator (barrel porting etc). As another poster said no rules on barrel length except perhaps under the very old SOF rules that pretty much no one seems to use any more.

pat

Doesnt a 24" barrel put you in open class?

Now that I think about it there could be a few outlaw clubs out there that might still limit barrel length, I recall seeing something about it in another thread.

What is the real benifit of removing it? Weight? I actually like using it as a "tunnel" for aiming with the front fiber instead of using the flip up rifle sight. Less obstructed view to me. I have even considered installing a larger diameter fiber, and making a small insert to put in the cantilever rail to align with it. But I might be way out in left field if there is magic to be found in cutting it off.

My SLP originally had the cantilever barrel. I ended up cutting it off to lose some weight and have less obstructed view. Where I ended though was getting the 24" VR barrel as it is lighter and points nicer. My recommendation would be to leave the cantilever barrel alone, buy the 24" VR barrel, and sell the cantilever barrel after the 24" arrives. :)

What is the real benifit of removing it? Weight? I actually like using it as a "tunnel" for aiming with the front fiber instead of using the flip up rifle sight. Less obstructed view to me. I have even considered installing a larger diameter fiber, and making a small insert to put in the cantilever rail to align with it. But I might be way out in left field if there is magic to be found in cutting it off.

5 ounces of weight. The "tunnel" obstructs the view on transitions way too much. Flip the rear sight down and use the front bead without the cantilever and you will see both speed and hit percentage increase.

... My recommendation would be to leave the cantilever barrel alone, buy the 24" VR barrel, and sell the cantilever barrel after the 24" arrives. :)

+ 1. The vent rib barrel lets you see more, is lighter, better for flying or flipping clays and the Invector + chokes it comes with have been more accurate (in IC and Mod) for long range slug hits.

So without the rear flip sight or cantilever, do you guys install any kind of rear sight to align with the front? Seems like you would need something there. Close steel shouldn't pose a problem, but slugs at 50 yards out would. Or woud you flip the factory rear sight in that case? I'm not beyond milling my cantilever off, just want to know why everybody else does, and the advantage of it

So without the rear flip sight or cantilever, do you guys install any kind of rear sight to align with the front? Seems like you would need something there. Close steel shouldn't pose a problem, but slugs at 50 yards out would. Or woud you flip the factory rear sight in that case? I'm not beyond milling my cantilever off, just want to know why everybody else does, and the advantage of it

You don't cut the flip up part off.

If you just cut off the cantilever rail, the rear flip sight is still there.

If you went with a VR barrel, a number of people have a rear pistol sight dove-tailed into the rib, while others just shoot down the rib as mentioned above, for long slug shots.