Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much Solo 1000 when using 180gr bullets?

Cy Soto

I have been using 4.5gr of Titegroup behind 180gr Montana Gold bullets at an OAL 1.140" with really good results. As you all probably know, finding Titegroup (or any other powder for that matter) is, at this time, difficult. For this reason I went back to using Solo 1000 which I had used with 165gr bullets when I was shooting Single Stack.

I tried 165gr bullets in my Limited pistol but I don't like how these feel out of this gun so I would like to work up a load for 180gr bullets. Out of my Tanfoglio, I have tried 4.7gr of Solo 1000 at an OAL of 1.140" and it barely makes PF (it's right at 165PF). I cannot see any signs of pressure on the primers and I know I need to go higher because, when the weather warms up, Solo will slow down a bit.

For those of you using Solo, how much powder are you using to get 170PF out of your pistol? BTW, I know that there are plenty of stories lot to lot variance for this powder and I will be working my load up a tenth or two at the time. Oh and also, how high have you gone before you began noticing flattened primers?

5.2 of solo put my 5" at 164. But 5.3 or 5.4 started flatten primers. I Chickened out and went with another powder. But I do have a slow barrel. Sickly slow. My friends 5" with my loads made power with 5.0 and a little bit more he was at 171. Then he sold the gun. Lol.

Hope this helps.

No idea ?

5.2 of solo put my 5" at 164. But 5.3 or 5.4 started flatten primers. I Chickened out and went with another powder. But I do have a slow barrel. Sickly slow. My friends 5" with my loads made power with 5.0 and a little bit more he was at 171. Then he sold the gun. Lol.

Hope this helps.

Edited by a matt

You are really going to be pushing the envelope to get Solo to make major with JHPs, particularly with newer jugs which seem to be slower than a year or so ago. I love it with my molys but it just doesn't have enough juice to comfortably make major with JHPs in my experience. I use N 320 for them.

When I used to use 180's I was loading 4.8 grains at 1.180 oal with a 180 grain BBI moly for a pf of about 168+. This was from a 5" STI barrel. I vaguely recall trying 180 grain jhps with Solo and started to see some pressure signs as I was working up loads. Gave up on it for jhps and only use it with moly stuff.

With my current jug of Solo I'm using 4.8 grains at 1.170 with a 165 grain BBI in my 6" for 170 pf. Nice soft load but with a little smoke.

I am not a fan of moly-coated bullets. I tried about 2,000 of them once in my 1911 and, not only did they smoke as bad a bare-lead bullets, but removing the mole residue was a PITA.

I think I will be able to comfortably make PF with Solo and 180gr bullets out of my pistol Like I mentioned before, 4.7gr put me right at 165pf. I am just hoping that this weather will clear up one of these days so that I can go to the range and see what the 4.9gr & 5.1gr are doing. The problem is that the snow around here has been quite persistent.