Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.4" sight tracker barrel in a 5" slide gun?

EngineerEli

post-33893-0-77103900-1363381589_thumb.jpg

I like the photos you have and I dont think the 5.4 barrel looks bad at all but in the end the whole idea is or was to get more sight radius, isn't it? if your going to spend money...why not go witht he 6"???

I think the photo below with the 6" looks good, too. I kinka of like better!

thanks

post-5006-0-03547600-1363313117_thumb.jpg

Edited by kimberacp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be honest I hadn't given that as much though as maybe I should have, but now that I think about it I think I am still happy with going with the 5.4 in stead of the 6.0. First I like the balance of my gun as it is now, and I feel like going to the 5.4 wont effect the weighting and balance very much, at least not as much as the 6.0 would. Second, I think because my gun has the butler cut to start with it would look best to have about the same length of barrel sticking out the end of the slide. If you look at the 6" from this thread he has the standard length frame with the standard slide cut, about an inch long, so another inch of barrel sticking out the end matches it nicely.

The actual scenario I am in right now is that my 5" barrel cracked and I have the gun in at SVI right now, long and short of it the 5.4 or 6.0 up-charge is only $20 so I figured I would give it a try. I feel like the 6.0 would change the gun to much, when I really quite happy with it right now, it just seems like a little more sight radius and barrel velocity seemed like a good deal for $20. And I get uniqueness points!!!

• 1 month later...

Eric can comment on his, but mine is still at SV having the work done, it will most likely be another few months before I get it back, I can give details when I do.

Until them, I'm shooting Production with my new Tanfoglio Stock II :cheers: The grip is surprisingly similar to the steel SV grip.

My 6" sight tracker barrel actually fits and work and runs in my 5" sight tracker gun and slide...

Have you tried shooting your frankin-gun in this configuration. What were your thoughts? Recoil? Balance? Sight tracking? Aesthetics? Think you could post a pic or two?

This is just what I had built. 6" Schuemann bbl, 5" tri topped slide, short dustcover, Brazos slide racker.

The bbl looks like its ported but the holes don't go all the way through. I just wanted to lighten the bbl a little and it looks good.

I can't help but wonder if the recoil management would have been better eith the extra weight at the end if the barrel. Hands down, you win on cool factor! That's the neatest, albeit most confused, Limited gun I've seen in 20 years in this sport.

So, to address the weird factor question, I am not concerned with weird looking, as long as it works.

I can't help but wonder if the recoil management would have been better eith the extra weight at the end if the barrel. Hands down, you win on cool factor! That's the neatest, albeit most confused, Limited gun I've seen in 20 years in this sport.

So, to address the weird factor question, I am not concerned with weird looking, as long as it works.

Thanks.

Good question on the recoil management. I didn't mention it before but it's chambered in 9mm. It's a very soft shooter the way it is. I'm thinking about taking a little weight off the nose with a lighter guiderod.

Keep in mind one important thing about having a 5.4 barrels fitted.

If your guns has to fit the IPSC box, you'll have to get the back of the gun shortened (beavertail and a flat on MS housng and magwell).

If you go with the 5.4 barrel, ask Brandon to perform the trimming to fit the box.

Keep in mind one important thing about having a 5.4 barrels fitted.
If your guns has to fit the IPSC box, you'll have to get the back of the gun shortened (beavertail and a flat on MS housng and magwell).
If you go with the 5.4 barrel, ask Brandon to perform the trimming to fit the box.

I have considered this, but I have never traveled out of the US for a match into IPSC country, and don't really foresee myself doing so. I will probably just leave it be the way it is. I will know though, that if I ever decide to participate in IPSC matches, I can have the gun modified to be legal. Edited by EngineerEli

• 1 month later...

Talked to Brandon at SVI, and after the three month estimate, he's saying it will still likely be about another 4 weeks. The barrel has been manufactured, but it is still waiting in cue for fitment. I totally understand that they are helping me out so I'll patiently wait, but I can't wait to have it back!!! I'll let you all know how it is after I get it back.

Hey Dalmas, that is your gun right. What are your thoughts on the set up with the 6" barrel in the 6"slide/frame? It looks like you now run one of the new 5.4's, mind explaining how you ended up at that platform? Those are all very nice looking guns btw!

Thanks,

Eli

Edited by EngineerEli

Hey Dalmas, that is your gun right. What are your thoughts on the set up with the 6" barrel in the 6"slide/frame? It looks like you now run one of the new 5.4's, mind explaining how you ended up at that platform? Those are all very nice looking guns btw!

Thanks,

Eli

The idea behind the gun was to use the top for PPC and bullseye shooting on the same 5" platform. Since our limited guns has to fit the IPSC box it was never the intention to use it for IPSC. The 6" top has now been converted into open and the gun is sold. I do run the new 5.4 and has used it at some big matches this year, I like heavy guns so the added weight doesn't bother me and it feels easier to be more precise with it, especially at distance. I highly recommend the 5.4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The finished gun is being shipped out today!!! I should have it Thursday!!! So exited!!! Brandon at SVI was even nice enough to snap me a quick photo!!! (I'll post a few more once I receive it)

post-33893-0-28880100-1375207537_thumb.j

Edited by EngineerEli

I cant get over what a transformation the gun went through, it looks like a new gun!

I must say Brandon and all of SVI was great to work with through it all. They truly stand behind their product, even when it was purchased used from another shooter.

I can not wait till tomorrow for it to be here!