Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced load 9mm

CaptRob

My 11 year old daughter had decided she wants to shoot steel matches with me. I thought about starting her off with a 22, but since I can't find mags or ammo for 22 I am going to let her use my old M&P Pro 9mm. She handles the recoil from factory loads as well as my reloads, but I want to try and come up with a reliable reduced power load to help her follow up shots. I will be ordering a lighter recoil spring and will be loading plated 147's with tite group. I'm looking for info on how low I can take it and still have it be reliable and safe.

Thanks for any info.

"I will be ordering a lighter recoil spring and will be loading plated 147's with tite group. I'm looking for info on how low I can take it and still have it be reliable and safe."

A long time ago when Titegroup was really taking off in popularity, called and spoke with several of Hodgdon's Ballisticans.

One finally said "You can go as low as you want with Titegroup and be safe, so long as the bullet exits the barrel."

Can't speak to 147's but have gone as low a 3.50 gr. with a 124 gr. M/G JHP at ca. 1.150" OAL.

FWIW, use a 14 Lb. Wolff in a 3rd. Gen Glock 34...

I just loaded some 9mm to shoot in my G19 Glock to shoot steel..... 4.0gr -- W231 --- 124hp Precision Delta bullets --- COL 1.12.. Win small pistol primers... very soft shooting and accurate..

If you are shooting SC and no knock-down steel, you may want to look at getting some 90 or 95 gr bullets and running in the 750 fps range, which will be in the 70-72 power factor range - that's about as close to .22 ammo as you can get without actually being there. My last load I did with this was a MG 95 JHP with around 4.X of N320 (it's at home, will have to look it up) and seriously, they don't get much softer than this...