Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI build questions:)

Noah my boy

Have a new FDC frame and looking to get a slide and had a question with caspian slides vs STI slides if there is any different or one better than the other ? If its good pratice to but a classic slide to a FDC frame or is the unique the better of the choice? I want to get a slide from brownells but all they have are caspian slides with the cuts I want and the other cuts I will do myself:) please any advise will help.

Well, I am a SV fan. No doubt about it, since I seem to have a small boatload of them and no IRAs.

That said, the Caspian slide is bar stock not cast. (1911 Forum has some extensive threads on steel and probably Caspian too) They have been supplying gunsmiths with excellent slide for decades. I have a Caspian slide on one of my guns. It works just fine. I also have one and only 1 STI.

Gary will do whatever you want to it. You might try Rene a SSI also.

That said, the Caspian slide is bar stock not cast.

STI slides are machined from billet. I own a CNC machine shop and recently built a limited gun with STI frame and slide. I can tell you without a doubt that the 2011 frame and the slide were machined from billet, and the machining was nothing but first class. I also did lots of measuring with some sophisticated inspection equipment and was very impressed!

http://www.stiguns.com/products/parts/slides/

Mike

dont waist your time and money on STI

Must be an SV fanboy!

First I'm not fanboy !!!

I bye STI Executive ( broken barrel)

STI GrandMaster ( factory problem with slide)

Custom STI open ( never work,I try everything 9mm,38 super,bye best parts....never work)

Worst customer service in my life....

So if you want to spend your money and your time bye STI

Never,never spend 1 dollar more on STI

Edited by ZeljkoLucic

Ya i want to know too. What else is there a SVI slide?

That's your money man , bye SVI slide.

You pay maybe little bit more ,but for sure you have quality product in your hand.

Off course you can call in any time Brandon from SVI and he give you all help what you need

Believe me differences from SVI and STI is a really BIG

I've got several STI complete guns, and have built about a dozen guns from STI slides and frames. Every one of them has been accurate and reliable with no problems. To say STI is a waste of time and money is rediculous. I would hate to guess at how many matches have been won with STI guns and parts.

I have seen more instances of craked slides with STI. All of the slides had lightening cuts in them. I have also seen numerous Caspian slides with the same cuts that have not cracked. One of the smiths I use will use nothing but Caspian slides due to problems he has had with STI slides. Just ordered a Caspian slide for my new frame from Bobby at FGW.

I have seen more instances of craked slides with STI. All of the slides had lightening cuts in them. I have also seen numerous Caspian slides with the same cuts that have not cracked. One of the smiths I use will use nothing but Caspian slides due to problems he has had with STI slides. Just ordered a Caspian slide for my new frame from Bobby at FGW.

I would think we would see more STI's with these issues, there are more than a few more STI's out than Caspain..

In the last year alone 4 SEPSA members have had guns with STI slides crack. They were all replaced with Caspian slides and have not had a problem. All 4 of the guns have had more rounds thru them with the Caspian slides than they did with the STI slides. Can only base my decision on what I have seen and go from there.

Very simple NO STI !!!

I have one simple question which gun has won more Area, state, sectionals, and the little one, The Handgun Nationals?

Really run what you want, you decide but don't go by all that you read. SV's are great Caspains too along with STI. These and all of this post are opinions. You know the rest. Thanks

Edited by a matt