Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Simulate overcast day with white sheet?

I have a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono.

I've used it over the course of a year now and have noted (as expected) that on sunny days readings can be problimatic. Sometimes

I get crazy high velocity readings that are obviously wrong or 'ERR'. This occurs mostly at lower sun angles rather than at high angles.

Overall I've determined to not take my chrono to the range on a sunny day unless I plan to take readings from 12 noon to no later than 3pm.

This is winter time gulf coast. Before 12 sun is a tad low yet.

Overcast days all is peachy and wonderful.

So I got to thinking, how bout faking 'overcast' with a light cotton white sheet? Just maybe drap it over the posts on the chrony, a bit of duct tape

applied just so to hold things in place or something more exotic after initial testing....I might have to try a old grey tee-shirt instead, or maybe double

up the fabric .. who knows.

Anyone tried that and can chime in?

I'd like to use my chrono and expect reliable repeatable results on sunny days before or after the above mentioned hours. Problem will become worse

as the season changes toward summer.. insofar as time of day goes.

In any event I plan to experiment soon. Will post a followup at some point.

Edit, Some monkey mistakenly used coarse for course.

Edited by Buzi

I put an IPSC target on top of the arms, white side facing the machine, and some rocks on it to prevent the wind from blowing it over. There is plenty of indirect light and the readings are dead on.

I put an IPSC target on top of the arms, white side facing the machine, and some rocks on it to prevent the wind from blowing it over. There is plenty of indirect light and the readings are dead on.

this is what i do

Awesome! Thatnks for the replies. I'm rich on cardboard and never thought of that one.

I'm going to try that out this week later I hope. Also I'm taking another 'mod'. Since I shoot near the bay it is windy often. Sometimes so damn

windy the chrono can get knocked over even though on fairly heavy old Texas Star camera tripod. One brick with holes and some parachute cord

tied on is going with my new target range kit.

I'll need it if I'm putting a sail on top. hahah.

I got tired of screwing around wit my big ass box with 2 CED M2 chronographs in it so I just bought a Kurzzeit PVM-08 chronograph. I will report back if it works as good as I hope.

Lee

I always use the IR light kit. Indoors and out. Zero issues with outside lighting conditions.

I'm curious . You say IR, meaning Infra Red?

The commercial kit i see I find no mention of IR or not. I had presumed these were white light LED' light souces:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154951/competition-electronics-indoor-lighting-setup-for-prochrono-chronograph?cm_vc=U112

Is that the same kit you are using?

I always use the IR light kit. Indoors and out. Zero issues with outside lighting conditions.

I'm curious . You say IR, meaning Infra Red?

The commercial kit i see I find no mention of IR or not. I had presumed these were white light LED' light souces:

http://www.midwayusa...raph?cm_vc=U112

Is that the same kit you are using?

That's the light set. The lights inside are IR and can only be seen when you take a picture with your cell phone. They smooth out the variations in velocity due to diff lighting conditions. The steady light is supplied by the kit. Same,same each time. I built a battery box so I can use it anywhere without having to find a 110 wall outlet.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124786