Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals & Production

Patrick Sweeney

Two questions for those who were plugged into Production and ROs:

Did you see any Para LDAs? I kept remembering to look, but didn't see any, and then forgot and had to remember again. Do you see many of them in club, Sectional and Area matches?

And how to increase Production attendance at the Nationals? (Provided it doesn't crowd out Revolver shooters, I'm all for it.)

I think Gary Stevens was also shooting his?

I probably had a couple come thru when I was running the chrono at the Buckeye Blast.

The complaint I often here is that it is tough to shoot decent splits times with one...due to the long reset.

Just what I hear...I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

From my recollection, there were a few people using LDAs. I think that most were using a Glock or Sig. It would be interesting to see the competitor survey results.

In my Section (Mid Atlantic), I don't believe that anyone is using one. Most use a Glock, Sig or Beretta.

I have a P18-9mm so I was very interested in trying the P18-9mm LDA. One of the guys at our local club got one and put on a Dawson FO front sight and a lighter hammer spring in it.

We were shooting a steel match that day so I tried them side by side. Of course I could double tap a bit quicker with my single action but when swinging back and forth between steel, the difference was mighty slim. I think the weight and familiar grip had a lot to do with it.

I didn't find the longer reset a problem like I have with my BHP. Can't explain why but I never did short stroke the trigger.

I currently shoot a Sig P226 9mm for Production and IDPA SSP. I am really considering the P18 LDA for those classes. Besides, I already have the leather and a supply of magazines.

[Thread drift on]

What I did notice that I had not noticed at the last two FGN's is the support for shooters, i.e. team members, of the major manufacturers. I believe that Production will continue to grow as the main stream manufacturers see benefits to having their products showcased by top level shooters.

[Thread drift off]

I am thinking of shooting Production next season with a Glock 17.

Matt, No, I am not crossing to the dark side. It looked like a fun thing to do. Of course, my limited gun should be ready soon...hmmm...Glock 17 with Vanek trigger or STI? Good Lord! What a decision! Luckily, I have about six more weeks to decide. :)

Liota

Ken Hicks cheats...he keeps looking at the front sight!

C'mon Ken, lighten up on these guys!

I like the 9mm LDA a lot in IDPA; in truth, I haven't shot mine in Production yet. If you're used to riding a single-action trigger, the LDA does take a little getting used to, but it's not that big a deal. Of course, I'm not that good, either!

mb