Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 BOD Elections

Alan Meek

Also interesting is that the results were broken down even further, to include "No Vote/Protest". Also, no more than 19.2% of the members in each Area voted.

A2

Vote for canidate: 290

Write In: 2

No Vote/Protest: 2

Total ballots recevied: 294 out of 1,530 sent

A6

Vote for canidate: 372

Write In: 2

No Vote/Protest: 4

Total ballots received: 378 out of 2,247 sent

A8

Vote for canidate: 252

Write-In: 8

No Vote/Protest: 10

Total ballots received: 270 out of 1,414 sent

You would have to look at the by-laws, but I don't think that USPSA has a "no confidence" vote or any mechanisim if the candidate receives less than X% of the vote (assuming 1 candidate running - w/ multiple candidates, I think there is a mechanisim for a run off?). Even if the candidate received only 1 vote and hundreds of "No Vote/Protest" votes were cast, the candidate would still be elected (assuming there were no Write-Ins or the # of Write-In votes were for a specific person were < votes for the candidate). This is all supositon on my part. Perhaps Rob B. or another BOD would know definately.

From the USPSA Bylaws

"6.6 Quorum and Majority:

The individual members actually voting shall constitute a quorum and those persons receiving the highest number of votes cast shall be deemed elected.

Majority Required: No candidate for Area Director or President may serve without having received a majority of votes cast. In the event that no candidate receives more than 50% of the votes cast, a run-off

election shall be conducted between the two candidates receiving the most votes."

So the question would be, if a blank ballot is returned. Is that a vote cast and if so how is it counted.

From the USPSA Bylaws

"6.6 Quorum and Majority:

The individual members actually voting shall constitute a quorum and those persons receiving the highest number of votes cast shall be deemed elected.

Majority Required: No candidate for Area Director or President may serve without having received a majority of votes cast. In the event that no candidate receives more than 50% of the votes cast, a run-off

election shall be conducted between the two candidates receiving the most votes."

So the question would be, if a blank ballot is returned.  Is that a vote cast and if so how is it counted.

let's see... does that mean a run-off between the top 2? That would include all three area.

Area2 - 19% voted write-in/protest 1.3%

Area 6 - 16.8% voted write-in/protest 1.5%

Area 8 - 19% voted write-in/protest 6%

A8 is sending a message, hope it gets heard....

In this election all incumbents recieved the majority of votes cast. SO they are all duly elected for the next term.

The question is if of the ballots turned into the accounting firm for the election and the majority of those do not have any one person selected (50.1%) then what happens or what is the process at that point.

Not being in tune with the politics of USPSA (I am VP at our club, enough polictics for me) why do you all think there was a lack of turn out (votes)?

At our club, we have about 3200 members and only 310 votes were returned.

thanks, I would love to see some responses.

Steve H

Not being in tune with the politics of USPSA (I am VP at our club, enough polictics for me) why do you all think there was a lack of turn out (votes)?

At our club, we have about 3200 members and only 310 votes were returned.

thanks, I would love to see some responses.

Steve H

In this instance, it seems that since all the Area Directors ran unopposed, most of the membership did not feel a need to cast a vote, except to write in another candidates name if they were unhappy with the incumbent. Area 8 appeared to have a few more members unhappy with the incumbent than the others. In my experience, people tend to vote when they are mad about something, or when they feel like they have a choice and/or can make a change. Unfortunately, it seems that even when there is a real contest for a position within USPSA, the majority of the membership still doesn't vote. Sad.

Troy