Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hosting an IDPA match

Giant81

There are no IDPA matches within a decent driving distance from me (zip code 53569).

The local Technical College has recently put in place a new outdoor range paid for by a referendum and used currently for the criminal justice program. After speaking with the coordinator at the school, she was very open and receptive to getting everyone shooting there. After all, as she puts it, we paid for it we might as well use it.

So after looking around I thought, hey maybe I can get a USPSA or IDPA match hosted here and get interest drummed up in the South Western Wisconsin area that I live in. Since there are no shooting anything in the area, I thought it could snowball and maybe lead to some SASS, or steal matches, GSSF, etc.

Where do you start? Would it be rude of me to ask a club that now shoots IDPA but is fairly far away to help me coordinate things?

Thanks.

Oh that is much closer, the closest one I could find before was the match in Ripon, WI and that's just shy of 140 miles away.

I will certainly try them. I may not try setting up my own matches if there is a match that close.

Thank you for the help.

I also see there is one in Portage, WI now. That is a much better drive than going to Ripon, and I do shoot USPSA in Lodi,

I wouldn't mind starting a club in the area, with so little in the area, I'd hope we could get good membership numbers. I'm just afraid of the amount of work starting and managing a club would be. Is it not as hard as I'm fretting, or do you get 4-5 people, then break up the workload? Mostly i shy away from the idea because I've never been part of a gun club, so I don't know what to expect.

Edited by Giant81

You absolutely need people to help run matches. If you don't have people that are willing to participate I wouldn't consider it. You can start small and grow of course... but it's best to get to the other club to get an idea of how they got going. You could always start off with "basic" action shooting stuff till you decided how far to go with it. That way you don't have to worry about the fees, etc.

As lugnut says, you will need to get a significant core group of people to help out. You will need help designing stages, building stages, checking people in, acting as an SO and ASO, scoring, and tearing down. You will also need some funds for target stands, targets, props, etc., and you will need some place to store them securely when not in use.

You can start small, but you will need a core group of committed people to get it off the ground.

• 4 weeks later...

If the closest matches are 50+ miles away, then there is nothing wrong with wanting one closer. Just make them so it's on a different day. Hopefully when it gets going the shooters that go to the one club will come to yours as well.

I can tell you from past history, setting up a club and running it takes alot of time. I have done 2 different clubs in the last 25-30 years. One an IDPA and the other USPSA. Alot of information for setting them up are on the web and you should be about to check your local area as to getting help.

Good luck.

Mike