Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight tracker tanfoglio

amish_rabbi

Anything is possible with enough dough to throw at it, but I don't know of anyone in the States making barrels for Tanfos, is there anyone in Canada set up to make a one off? Unfortunately 2011s dominate the custom market, and I don't think it would be feasible to modify a 2011 sight tracker blank to work in a Tanfoglio (besides the OD being slightly smaller).

I would think it would be easier to do on a Tanfoglio since you don't have the bushing to worry about by default.

But like was said above, you'd need to find a barrel blank to modify, and I think that's the hard part.

The easiest way would be to thread a standard barrel and put an oversized sleeve on it. From there one could machine the bull barrel profile and the sight tracker rib. The original sight tracker/hybrid barrel rib was silver soldered/welded onto the top of a barrel, Caspian was the one who marketed it and shortly after that Schuemann started making his own barrel from one piece.

Rich

I always wondered if you could dovetail the top of a bull barrel for a sight, then make a u shaped slot in the front of the slide for clearance. You would have to use a really tall sight to make it work but seems like it ought to be simple. Only concern would be if there wasn't enough meat in the top of the barrel to make a strong enough joint.

I dont know of anyone making a barrel but i do cad for a living and know a fee cnc machinists so i dont see why i couldnt make a barrel if i found a properly sized blank.

I guess the main reason I cant find it is cause you guys in the states have a crappy supply of tanfo. Guns and that makes them not popular enough for a barrel maker to bother.

I do like the threaded barrel idea and a decent deal on a limited custom did just pop up near me...

If you could get one of the Gold Custom barrels and comps with out the ports machined in it. You could machine a dove tail into the material where the top ports would normally have been. It would end up a lot like the STI TruSight they had out for a while before they switched over to the Apeiro (standard Sight Tracker).

If you don't want the cone barrel look at what this guy did. Machine down the comp to right before the ports and machine in the front sight dovetail on what is left.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=167175

Edited by EngineerEli

• 2 months later...

So EAA sent me a 6" .40 barrel instead of the 6" 9mm barrel I ordered and I thought of this thread...

I've got one of these sitting in my parts bin:

1291730_zpsd9217bd0.jpg

and I also have a .40 Match slide and a Hunter frame.

It is really tempting to weld up the port, drill it all the way through, tap it, thread the barrel, cut in a sight on the comp and VOILA! 6" Witness sight tracker Limited gun!

This is essentially what they did with the old style Hunter, except it was built on a shorter frame:

411546081.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

That would be a lot of work and $$$ to not even know if it will function any better than the existing setup. This would probably be at least a $1000 "Test" in parts and labor. I don't know about you guys, but I am not willing to throw $1000 down the drain and HOPE that it works better than a standard Limited gun setup.

Ah Cha-lee, most of us have more money than brains, don't we? Not withstanding, I said it was tempting but I've decided against it; I have too many irons in too many fires right now. Besides, I've never shot a sight tracker, so I don't have a real burning desire for one at the moment. However, I will be taking delivery of my .45 Hunter next month and I am excited to try out a real 6" gun. What I really would have liked to do was get a 10mm and put a .40 slide in it, but I could only find a .45, so L10 will have to be good enough for now (unless someone wants to trade me the upper from their Bullseye :goof:).

The Hunter actually has the same length recoil system as the Limited (with a block to take up the extra 1 1/4"), so my first project will be to make a long guide rod and try a longer spring.

I know what you're thinking: I should tinker less and shoot more, but my wife is pregnant with our third right now, so my live fire opportunities are few and far between. After everyone is in bed... that's my mad scientist time! :devil: