Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS DURABILITY?

G34 CORDY

Iam curious how durable the TS is? I see the STI guns last with a lot of rounds through them so how does the TS stack up. I just bought mine haven't got to use it much but when I do get time to practice and go to matches will it hold up to a lot of rounds through it?

I had to replace the extractor spring almost immediately and then after about 8000 rounds the slide stop broke. I guess that's why they gave me 3 extras :0) Other than that its been bullet proof. Total maybe 12,000 ish rounds.

I had to replace the extractor spring almost immediately and then after about 8000 rounds the slide stop broke. I guess that's why they gave me 3 extras :0) Other than that its been bullet proof. Total maybe 12,000 ish rounds.

What lb recoil spring are you using? And will a lighter one say 11lb cause more or earlier damage than a 13lb?

What lb recoil spring are you using? And will a lighter one say 11lb cause more or earlier damage than a 13lb?

I'm using a DPM Mechanical Recoil Reducer www.dpmsystems.com/index.php?p=Product&cat=5 Similar to the Sprinco. It came with 3 springs plus the guide rod assembly. I'm using the heaviest spring but honestly, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, I'm not sure what weight spring it is. However, the overall lighter the recoil spring, the harder its going to be on the slide stop. How much harder? I don't know.

I'm using a DPM Mechanical Recoil Reducer www.dpmsystems.com/index.php?p=Product&cat=5 Similar to the Sprinco. It came with 3 springs plus the guide rod assembly. I'm using the heaviest spring but honestly, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, I'm not sure what weight spring it is. However, the overall lighter the recoil spring, the harder its going to be on the slide stop. How much harder? I don't know.

How do you like that compared to a regular spring guide rod setup?

How do you like that compared to a regular spring guide rod setup?

I like it a lot. I remember the plastic guide rod that came with the pistol. POS. It got chewed to pieces inside of 200 rounds. Yes that was two hundred. CZ USA said that the guide rod needed to be replaced often. "Not that often" I said. Anyway I went to steel guide rod and buffer. Bad buffer. Buffer bad. Got a lot of short strokes on the slide. Got rid of the buffer and everything was ok but I seemed to feel the slide and frame impacting every shot. So I ordered the DPM and everything was sweetness after that. A buddy of mine used a Sprinco in his TS and was just as happy.

Does it really reduce more recoil than a guide rod setup?

I tried the Sprinco in my TS after I lightened the slide. I wouldn't say it "reduced" the recoil as much as it changed the character of it: the impulse is more gradual almost with a bounce in it, but the difference is very slight.

I would like to try one just to see for myself but its alittle expensive just to try then might not like it

Sprinco has a 60 day money back guarantee, and when I emailed DPM, they promised to match it. I really, really wanted to love the Sprinco, but after shooting it with six different recoil spring weights I concluded that I might get used to it, but it would never be worth the cost to me.

Its been a few years since I put it in there but as I remember it did reduce recoil a little but not anything drastic. My TS is a 40. And there is no mistaking it for a 9mm. Not now, not ever. What I did notice is the "smoothing" of the recoil impulse. The impact between the slide and frame seemed to disappear. As I recall it was $80 or so. Would I do it again? Probably. But I would have looked harder at the Sprinco setup. I'm totally happy with the DPM but I didn't even look at anything else. I'd like to think that I've become a more discerning shooter, and customer.

I tried the Sprinco in my TS after I lightened the slide. I wouldn't say it "reduced" the recoil as much as it changed the character of it: the impulse is more gradual almost with a bounce in it, but the difference is very slight.

Yeah, what kneelingatlas said.

Edited by TallGuy

Durability: I have one 9mm build as an open gun. Fired +80000rounds still going strong. Stick to stock springs and keep the original type buffer in place.

40SW barrels tend to crack after about 20000rounds or so. CZ barrels are easy to install and fairly cheap. A friend of mine have a 40SW fired +120 000rounds +3barrels, happy man with a good gun.

Last week I visited the range. Did a test group at a 50 yard distance=10 shot 2 inches. Not bad for an 80 000 rounder 9mm open gun.

Durability: I have one 9mm build as an open gun. Fired +80000rounds still going strong. Stick to stock springs and keep the original type buffer in place.

40SW barrels tend to crack after about 20000rounds or so. CZ barrels are easy to install and fairly cheap. A friend of mine have a 40SW fired +120 000rounds +3barrels, happy man with a good gun.

Last week I visited the range. Did a test group at a 50 yard distance=10 shot 2 inches. Not bad for an 80 000 rounder 9mm open gun.

What if the buffers are causing malfunctions? I like the feel of the lighter recoil springs but just want to make sure not to cause any major damage.

Interesting, my TS 40 just would not function with the CZ supplied buffers. I switched to the Buffer Technologies with some but not much improvement. Not until I stopped using them altogether would it function reliably. I wonder what the difference is.

That's another battle Iam facing is to lighten the slide or not? I wish I could shoot them back to back but don't know anyone that has one.

I did shoot a friends Brazos STI lightened slide and liked it better than my old stock STI Edge.

Yeah, what kneelingatlas said.

Interesting, my TS 40 just would not function with the CZ supplied buffers. I switched to the Buffer Technologies with some but not much improvement. Not until I stopped using them altogether would it function reliably. I wonder what the difference is.

I had the same experience with the factory buffs. I think the problem is that the buffer shortens the stroke and the slide does not build enough momentum before it strips the round off the mag. This should be fixable by clipping a few coils off the recoil spring, but my gun has run flawlessly since I took out the buffer so I've been afraid to mess with it. I built a 9Major upper so maybe I'll experiment with buffers on that one just for safety's sake. I do believe the stock plastic guide rod everyone seems to want to get rid of provides some buffering as well (I have not yet worn mine out).

I'm guessing but I think progressive rate may be the same as variable rate such as those sold by Wolff. From their website:

What is the difference between conventional and variable recoil springs?

The difference is both physical and operational. With a conventional spring, all the coils are spaced equally apart, except for the closed ends. In a variable recoil spring the space varies between coils with less space between coils at one end and more space between coils at the other end.

The way the two springs store energy is also different. For example if a conventional recoil spring is compressed 1/2", it might store 1 pound of energy. For every additional 1/2" this spring is compressed it would then store 1 additional pound of energy. When a variable recoil spring is compressed 1/2", it might store 1/4 pound of energy. The next half inch of compression might store 1/2 pound, the next half inch might store 3/4 pound and so on. In other words, a conventional spring stores energy on a straight line and a variable spring stores energy on a curve. If both springs are rated at 16 pounds, they will both store 16 pounds when compressed to the same working length, but the way they get to 16 pounds is different.

Thanks for that info TailGuy. Does anyone here use the variable recoil springs? If so, thumbs up or thumbs down?

I use them in my Les Baer Concept V (45 ACP). I've heard that LBC's come stock with them. Don't know it for a fact. The firearm has functioned flawlessly with over 8,000 rounds through it. No stinking buffer. But since I use mostly factory ball (major-plus power factor) I don't think that I'd be able to tell a difference on felt recoil. I don't "feel" the slide and frame making contact. Maybe some day I'll do the experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had any issues with mine but it makes me wonder why they give you 3 extra slide stops with the gun.... rumor is the 40 breaks slide stops... I have about 3,000 rounds with no problems yet..