Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Toto, we're not in S.F. anymore

ErikW

There is a pretty decent Basque place in Reno too. I forget exactly where it is but it isn't in the "nicer part of town". I am sure some of the Reno residents can point you the right direction. I want to say the name is "Louie's" or something like that.

George...did you have to look up how to spell Winnemucca? :) I haven't been there in years and I don't think the Flying Pig was there at the time or if it was, I sure didn't know about it.

Edited by kimel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George...did you have to look up how to spell Winnemucca?

Hi Kev,

Nah, I’ve been going through there on various trips for the past twenty years. I did have to teach it to my spell checker because it didn’t know it.

The Flying Pig is an old poker slot saloon in a strip mall that got converted into a BBQ joint after it went bust as a nightclub. I think it’s been there for about 4-5 years now.

flying-pig.jpg

Here is the sliced pork sandwich in all it’s glory.

poke-samitch.jpg

I will have to look up the Basque place in Reno next time I am there. I haven’t had much good luck in Reno except for the Nugget and the buffet at the El Dorado. There is always the Peppermill though ;)

--

Regards

Edited by George

Sushi (specifically sashimi) is ... wrong.

If God intended for us to eat raw fish, we'd have flippers and we'd spend a lot more time in the water.

Just gimme a swimming pool full of oysters, lobsters and crabs, and a good knife...I'll show you what god created me for... ;)

All that sushi-talk has made me hungry...

Any good places in Reno I should visit while in town this weekend for the Area-1?

Bruce (I'm not to proud to eat at all-you-can eat. In fact, it's kinda fun to see if I can make them cry...)

One of my sister's friends brought sashimi to the house one night. My dad pan fried it before he ate it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Liota and I lived in Japan for years. There are so many really excellent types of Japanese food that just isn't popular (or even available) in the States...it amazes me that "bait on seaweed" does so well.

Sigh.

Alex

Just gimme a swimming pool full of oysters, lobsters and crabs, and a good knife...I'll show you what god created me for

Now your talking! I’m in too.

First time I hit a raw bar in Florida many moons ago, I went through two bushels of gulf oysters and a couple plates of shrimp for desert and still had to help some of my friends finish off their bushels of oysters (a bushel is usually 50+ oysters). Next time I went to one, I did some real damage to the shellfish population of the gulf of mexico. ;)

--

Regards,

Very fresh raw tuna (almost tasteless) with very hot mustard is a rather tasty bit, I'll admit.

My "other sport" is sailboat racing... specifically offshore racing.

Many moons ago, I learned that it was worth bringing along a line and a couple of hooks. You sometimes get some odd looks from other crewmembers, but...

... on races like LA-to Hawaii, the Ahi practically *try* to get on the hook. And once they are on the boat, all it takes is a little shoyu and a little wasabi to make it worthwhile... dang, that's good stuff.

Bruce

Bruce, raw right there on the boat? I heard a story about somebody who landed a fish, then cut out the cheeks and ate them right there on the deck, like 30 seconds fresh. I thought he was pulling my leg about fish cheeks but apparently it's a delicacy.

I thought he was pulling my leg about fish cheeks but apparently it's a delicacy.

If you're the guest at a Chinese banquet in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan or China, the cheeks of the steamed fish will always be offered to you by your Chinese host (and me too!). It is definitely the most tender and sweetest tasting part of the fish.

WARNING FOR KIDS - DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER:

Other delicacies available in places like Hong Kong include eating the flesh of a live lobster sitting on a plate on the table in front of you. As you use your chopsticks to gently pick flesh from his back, the lobster's antennae continue to move.

Another excellent dish is "Drunken Prawns". They bring out a clear casserole dish filled with live prawns, into which the waiter pours a generous (i.e. think "Spring Break") supply of "Mao Tai" (Chinese rocket fuel), which causes the prawns to start jumping as if they were possessed by demons (apparently they prefer Jack Daniels).

Anyway, when the jumping subsides (because the prawns are now, like, totally trashed, dude), the waiter uses a match to set them alight.

You want fresh? We have fresh .........