Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Kaboom

glocklover

Well, I was shooting my open Glock and I had a kaboom. My gun is or was a 9 mm open Glock gun. It has a Lone Wolf barrel and a 4 port compensator. The barrel looks fine, however, the frame took the all damage. The side of the frame was blown off. My hand is fine. Although, it hurt for awhile. The load that I was using is 147gr MG with 7grs of hs6. I found the brass casing. The bottom of it was blown out. I usally shoot a 124 MG with 8grs of hs6. Did I use the brass to many times or should I've not used 147gr bullets? Any help so that I can prevent this from happening again.

Craig

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I am sorry to hear that you had a Kaboom. I am glad to hear that your hand is fine, that's the most important thing. As far as your load, I don't see how a 147gr bullet will cause that. HS6 with 7grs, that I can't help you with. I use AutoComp in my Open 40. Did you ever chrono your loads? If so, what was it? What was your PF? How many times did you use the same brass?

I had this happen with my open Glock with a lone wolf barrel, I got lucky and it only blew the magazine out. I think it boiled down to a bad piece of brass. Glad you have all your fingers. 9major is borderline crazy, that's why mine is a 40

Wow, I am sorry to hear that you had a Kaboom. I am glad to hear that your hand is fine, that's the most important thing. As far as your load, I don't see how a 147gr bullet will cause that. HS6 with 7grs, that I can't help you with. I use AutoComp in my Open 40. Did you ever chrono your loads? If so, what was it? What was your PF? How many times did you use the same brass?

I did chronos the rounds. My PF 170ish. I don't know how many times I've used the rounds. I don' keep count.

Most 9mm Major shooter leave the brass on the ground after shooting it for that very reason

Do open shooter buy new brass for all there loads?

I always use once fired brass from an indoor shooting range. When I shoot I don't pick my brass back up to reuse it.

Most 9mm Major shooter leave the brass on the ground after shooting it for that very reason

Do open shooter buy new brass for all there loads?

Most use once fired... Like from a gun range that doesn't allow reloaded ammo on the range or its really once fired lol

9MAJOR can and is loaded multiple times. No need to use it once and toss it. Threads like this cause that rumor to spread like wild fire! I think you stuffed a 147 where it should not have been. It's longer so it was pressed in deeper. You still tried to run it at MAJOR PF with 7 grains of powder. Also looks like nickle plated brass which gets more brittle than standard brass.

You can not just substitute a much heavier bullet and "guess" at the powder charge. Recipe for disaster.

Glad you are OK. No way I would try to make MAJOR in 9mm with a 147.

9MAJOR can and is loaded multiple times. No need to use it once and toss it. Threads like this cause that rumor to spread like wild fire! I think you stuffed a 147 where it should not have been. It's longer so it was pressed in deeper. You still tried to run it at MAJOR PF with 7 grains of powder. Also looks like nickle plated brass which gets more brittle than standard brass.

You can not just substitute a much heavier bullet and "guess" at the powder charge. Recipe for disaster.

I didn't guess at the load. I started with a low charge and worked my way up. I didn't think that a longer bullet would increase the chamber pressure to cause a faliure. Wouldn't increasing the powder charge increase the chamber pressure the same as using a heavier bullet? Before this I used 8grs of hs6 with a 124gr MG. Wouldn't using less powder 7grs with a 147gr bullet be the same chamber pressure?

I've run through brass 5-6 times at 165pf in my open gun with 115gr Montana Gold fmj 9mm with 7.6 gr of hS6... No problems...ever!

Is it possible that the round went off before the round was completely chambered? When I put the piece of brass back into the barrel it doesn't go in all the way.

Before this I used 8grs of hs6 with a 124gr MG. Wouldn't using less powder 7grs with a 147gr bullet be the same chamber pressure?

So you are saying you chronoed the load that blew your gun apart? I am in no way trying to be a wise ass but your last two sentences make it clear you don't understand a few basic concepts of load development. There is no way you could know what the pressure is going to be by adding a 23 grain heavier bullet and dropping a charge by one grain! Pressure does not work that way. You can develop a load that barely makes minor PF that still exhibits extremely high pressure signs.