Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Kaboom

glocklover

Thanks, I'll go back to the 124s. I think I need to load my bullets longer.

Be sure to check that with...whatever particular bullet you are using...the combination of the bullet profile and the overall length is such that the bullet doesn't contact the rifling in the chamber.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, I'll go back to the 124s. I think I need to load my bullets longer.

Be sure to check that with...whatever particular bullet you are using...the combination of the bullet profile and the overall length is such that the bullet doesn't contact the rifling in the chamber.

Thanks

Great point on the bigger bullet. It seems that most 9 major is a compressed load but the 147 would make that much more drastic. I'm glad to see you weren't seriously hurt and sorry your gun went boom. I've thought a lot about using 357 Sig if I ever build a Glock for major. Much more case volume but still very high pressures.

Does anyone else anneal the cases before they load major? I'm always nervous that I'll hit a piece of brittle brass.

Original comments retracted.

Please understand that my comments are coming from a person who has been where you are. I spent a year trying to get an open glock to work. After I came to the realization that it simply wasn't going to (during a major match) I gave up in it and jumped on the bandwagon with pretty much every other open competitor out there.

I also didn't have a chrono for a while and if it went boom, I called it good. Once I got one and started really testing my loads, I became a much better shooter because I wasn't trying to shoot 200pf stuff.

Again, I apologies for my original comments and their very direct nature.

Please go with what ever platform you choose, just read, and understand the limitations of them. Glocks cannot be loaded long due to their short mags, therefore they are much more subjective to over pressure. Loading a large (147) bullet short takes up a lot of the available case capacity, thereby significantly increasing chamber pressures.

A comp is designed to work by vectoring gasses upward. The more gas you have, not chamber pressure, the more effective the comp will be. That being said, you have to have a comp that is designed to allow the gasses to vector upward. Holes in a barrel are not a good substitute for a comp.

If you are truly out there just to have fun, I would guess that you would have more fun shooting open minor. The gun would hold up better, be flatter, and be easier to load for.

Edited by latech15

You completely dodged the chrono question and tried to turn this around to me.

JJ shoots for caracal. His open gun is a limcat.

I never said that people who shoot glocks aren't real shooters. I said to get a real open gun. A real open gun being one that works like an open gun should. A lone wolf barrel with holes isn't a comp. Stupid short 147 gr loads aren't open loads. Look at basically all of the top shooters and what they shoot. Hell, look at KC. When he picked what he wanted to shoot, it was a STI. He shoots a glock because they pay him to. Look at the long time glock poster boy, sevigney. As soon as he left glock, he went to a STI open gun.

Call it what you want. Grip tape in the wrong place puts you into open division. Just because your equipment puts you into that division, doesn't make it a viable option.

You are the one with the gun blowing up in your hand, but feel free to make this about me if you want to. Btw, I'm M, and I do have a sponsor.

I chonos all my loads. I'm out there to have fun. An open Glock is an affordable way for me to do that. Who's your sponsor? I'll make sure I never use them. Thanks for the encouragement and help.

The advantage to using light bullets with a compensator is that light bullets produce less recoil (muzzle rise) when loaded to the same power factor as heavy bullets. Compensators rely on gas to keep the muzzle down. Light bullets require more gunpowder for the same power factor (when using the same gunpowder) and a compensator takes advantage of that gas.

Note, with a non-compensated pistol the bullet weight / power factor recoil relationship is just the opposite. When loaded to the same power factor with the same gunpowder, heavy bullets have less recoil.

There is a 147 grain load that is published in the VECTAN tables. It is 6.4 grains of SP2 with a Speer 147 TMJ. It comes out at 36250 PSI. It factors at 176.

Also listed are loads with 88 grain and 115 grain bullets that top out at 36200 PSI.

Top end of the pressure scale for sure, but within normal parameters so no problem.

Having said that I am always very wary of using brass that has been reloaded multiple times. Glad to hear you are OK with all digits intact though !

Edited by malagamarksman

Glocklover, I have read enough of your posts that I feel perfectly confident in saying you should stop messing with 9MAJOR until you are no longer "confused". (your words)

It seems you still think pressure is a predictable measurement. It is anything but predictable! If you insist on pressing on I suggest you get some 124 grain bullets and start over. You need to get the gas up to work the comp and you're not going to get there with 147 bullets.

I think some valid points were made regarding shooting a Glock with 9MAJOR loads. I shot one, ONCE. Ouch!! Sure JJ can shoot one but he can also probably shoot a bb gun better than most. Using him as a measure for how good an Open Glock is, is laughable.

I get that you are in it for fun. You probably need to read the 9mm reloading forum until you have found every 9MAJOR Glock load tried. PM some other Glock shooters to see what works for them, etc..

9MAJOR is indeed NOT rocket science but it can indeed be dangerous if not done properly.

Good luck and be safe.

I think some valid points were made regarding shooting a Glock with 9MAJOR loads. I shot one, ONCE. Ouch!!

Glock open gun can be very different from one to the other I havent experienced one with an Ouch, hell mine barely even moves. If you ever get down to silver creek club I will let you run mine for a bit I promise it wont hurt :-)

Agreed, mine isn't much different than my old Trubor I had. For what it's worth, I had an STI Trubor in 9Major, load was 7.2 of AC @ 1.170 w 124 JHP from Montana gold.

Through my Carver Customs G17 I run 7.0 of AC (Autocomp) @ 1.150 and use the same bullet. Power factors are almost identical, and felt recoil is nearly the same.

Honestly, the dot moved more on the STI then my CC G17. Your mileage may very, but the only disadvantage I see to a glock is the trigger (length of pull), and those issues can become small with practice and an adjustable over and pretravel stop.

Slight thread drift, but accurate.

And yes I agree with sarge, read every little detail of info with 9major on here. That's what I did and so far it has given me my production load, my old STI load, and now my open glock load.

There is a wealth of info on here, you just gotta search for it.

Ps-glad your okay.

I think some valid points were made regarding shooting a Glock with 9MAJOR loads. I shot one, ONCE. Ouch!!

Glock open gun can be very different from one to the other I havent experienced one with an Ouch, hell mine barely even moves. If you ever get down to silver creek club I will let you run mine for a bit I promise it wont hurt :-)

An open Glock is an affordable way for me to do that.

Well, yeah, if you stop blowing up guns..... :D :D

The other guys aren't wrong though -- it will be a challenge, and it will take a lot of know-how to get a load and gun tuned to be reliable with each other.....

If you do a search in the reloading forums you should be able to find some Glock recipes for 115 and 125 grain that make major....

Hang on min here, yes you had hi pressure weak brass and boom dont let that hang your head and make you want to go back to production or minor open we all make mistakes. You seem to want to enjoy shooting major open were here to help. Tell us everything about you gun barrel comp etc and we can help you with a good load.

Start here and bump it a tiny bit if you need to.

Winchester auto comp 6.8 gr, 124 gr fmj, 1.140 oal you can load a little bit longer depending on your barrel but this load will get you going in the right direction.

Sounds like you did do a methodical load development. Your only mistake is the assumptions regarding pressure. I think a 147 at major PF is going to cause problems.

Agree 110% A 147 is a lot longer than a 124. You were COMPRESSING the powder and creating EXCESSIVE pressure. The bulge completely around the bottom of the case validates excessive pressure. A 147 takes a lot more time to get it moving down the barrel. So, the pressure built faster than the bullet could move and create space for the pressure build. The old saying "the weakest link", in this case it was your brass.

Glad you fingers and hand are ok!

Don't pay any attention to these guys with the GLOCK won't do major cause there are multiple people shooting them. Load as long as your mag and chamber will let you. Also if the chamber is tight send it and a dummy round to a GS and let them open the FREE BORE NOT THROAT to accept the load as long as your mags and 115-124gr NOT 147gr bullets will go. Start low w/ Auto Comp and work up to major. Use once fired only minor PF brass for your major loads as in buy a bunch of Once Fired brass and use it for you major stuff. KABOOMS happen even in the metal fancy guns too just more metal to save your hands

Don't pay any attention to these guys with the GLOCK won't do major cause there are multiple people shooting them. Load as long as your mag and chamber will let you. Also if the chamber is tight send it and a dummy round to a GS and let them open the FREE BORE NOT THROAT to accept the load as long as your mags and 115-124gr NOT 147gr bullets will go. Start low w/ Auto Comp and work up to major. Use once fired only minor PF brass for your major loads as in buy a bunch of Once Fired brass and use it for you major stuff. KABOOMS happen even in the metal fancy guns too just more metal to save your hands

Thanks, I'll give it a try. What do you think would be safer 115gr or 124gr bullets or is there no difference?

I would start here, proven load. I run JHP and I'm not sure if FMJ's would effect it

Start here and bump it a tiny bit if you need to.

Winchester auto comp 6.8 gr, 124 gr fmj, 1.140 oal you can load a little bit longer depending on your barrel but this load will get you going in the right direction.