Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Kaboom

glocklover

Thanks, I'll give it a try. What do you think would be safer 115gr or 124gr bullets or is there no difference?

I would stay with 124s. The reason being there are already very few powders that make Major without significant pressure problems and then there are fewer powders which can be run with the 115s, especially with a shorter OAL.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O.K. I will. Start at 6.5 or lower?

My opinion that would be okay. BUT, before any, I mean any bullets get loaded in your mag to be shot, make sure your OAL is correct and chamber check each round.

Jumping from a stock glock to an open glock is like turning your stock Pontiac GTO into a +1200 horsepower beast. Unless your really careful, your gonna blow it up.

It is possible just really make sure, and double sure everything is within spec.

Once that is done, have fun. Bc that's what it's all about in the end.

Edited by RangeJunkie

I would bet that you are going to end up in the 6.5-6.8 range to get to. 170pf. I would load 10 @ 6.0, 10 @ 6.2, 10 @ 6.4, and 10 @ 6.6 and chrono. That will give you an idea of what you need.

Also, keep a mag by the press and set up your OAL to just under where the round is touching the front of the mag. Once you get there, pull the barrel and make sure it drops in freely all the way.

Use that OAL and then work up to your load.

You are also going to need to test for accuracy. I have a friend with an open glock and it will group great up to about 155 pf. After that the groups fall apart.

Listen you got all good info here so far. I too have a open glock and after ALOT of load development I settled on 8.5 of hs6 with a mg 124 loaded at 1.166 I'm using a kkm barrel and a 11 port sjc comp and a 11 pound ismi flat recoil spring. I tried all the 4 port comps, sjc, jagger, carver etc and couldnt get the gun to shoot the way I liked. In my opinion in 9 major you need the 11 port to get the glock to shoot flat. However it does slap the hand pretty hard but that just means the recoil is being transfered back instead of up which is a good thing. The glock is a light gun compared to most other platforms so it takes a little more to get it to behave.

You may want to consider a different barrel, comp combo. Hope you don't give up on the glock. If you need any more help feel free to ask.

Joe

O.K. I will. Start at 6.5 or lower?

I'm not sure that will make 165 pf. But keep in mind your not loading to make that min pf your loading to make your comp work correctly and you have the carver 4 port which has 6 side ports as well you will need a lot of gas, 6.5 will be minor and you wont be flat.

KABOOMS happen even in the metal fancy guns too just more metal to save your hands

I have seen a few over the years mostly 1911s but almost all just blow the mag out and damage the grips without harm to the shooter. But one time it went bad I was the ro at the time he was running a 40 2011 gun and on his forth shot it totally blew up the whole top end was trashed and sent metal fragments everywhere he suffered arm and face cuts. He didnt have a squib but we never got to fiqure out what really went wrong because he never came back.

KABOOMS happen even in the metal fancy guns too just more metal to save your hands

I have seen a few over the years mostly 1911s but almost all just blow the mag out and damage the grips without harm to the shooter. But one time it went bad I was the ro at the time he was running a 40 2011 gun and on his forth shot it totally blew up the whole top end was trashed and sent metal fragments everywhere he suffered arm and face cuts. He didnt have a squib but we never got to fiqure out what really went wrong because he never came back.

That would have been very scary. Although, it happens so fast I wasn't scared until a few seconds after. And why does my hand sting.

Sounds like you did do a methodical load development. Your only mistake is the assumptions regarding pressure. I think a 147 at major PF is going to cause problems.

Sarge is correct and usually is but a 147 with HS-6 in 9 major is not a good mix . As he said the pressure do not coincide with just dropping a grain and keeping the same oal. Chances are if you are going to try it you will probably end up compressing the powder with HS-6. I shoot minor with a 124g using 6.3 of HS-6 with about 133 pf . The 147 are too long to fit comfortably in a 9x19 case for major.

Listen you got all good info here so far. I too have a open glock and after ALOT of load development I settled on 8.5 of hs6 with a mg 124 loaded at 1.166 I'm using a kkm barrel and a 11 port sjc comp and a 11 pound ismi flat recoil spring. I tried all the 4 port comps, sjc, jagger, carver etc and couldnt get the gun to shoot the way I liked. In my opinion in 9 major you need the 11 port to get the glock to shoot flat. However it does slap the hand pretty hard but that just means the recoil is being transfered back instead of up which is a good thing. The glock is a light gun compared to most other platforms so it takes a little more to get it to behave.

You may want to consider a different barrel, comp combo. Hope you don't give up on the glock. If you need any more help feel free to ask.

Joe

Listen to joe he definitely knows glocks and what he's talking about.