Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want to have a STI 2011 built...need advice

lablover

I've always wanted one and I pick now to try to get one :)

I mainly shoot 3 gun but would not mind starting any other shooting sport. Part of me want to buy a Predator from a friend he had made from Mark Burkett but I think he might be asking too much, 3500 it's a 9mm. Would be great for 3 gun but thats about it. I think he has 4 mags with it as well

Part of me want to buy a frame kit and maybe have a .40 made so I could cover anything. I want to have a double stack 1911 style pistol!!

My fear is not being able to get any magazines for one if I buy a frame kit! Am I being overly paranoid? I see WTB in the classifieds all the time for STI mags. I think the parts will be easy to find for the pistol build but not the mags.

Any advice? Caliber? Ramped , not ramped? Pretty new to these guns so have zero idea on mag size MM etc. I think I would favor a .40 because I could shoot ipsc etc with it as well.

Look forward to advice and suggestions

Joe

Edited by lablover

I went through the .40/9mm choice a few years back as I shot a little USPSA and a lot of 3 gun. In the end I bought a 9mm gun and a .40 gun. I wish I would have just bought a 9mm in the beginning instead of trying to compromise. Get exactly what you want the first time even if it means you have to wait, don't not get something you want to save a little.

If you're serious about 3gun 9mm is the only option.

I would't count a new Eagle out purchasing from one of the dealers on the forum, they should have magazines in stock at the time you purchase. May need a little tuning, trigger work, magwell etc but would be new and quite a bit cheaper than $3,500.

I've always wanted one and I pick now to try to get one :)

I mainly shoot 3 gun but would not mind starting any other shooting sport. Part of me want to buy a Predator from a friend he had made from Mark Burkett but I think he might be asking too much, 3500 it's a 9mm. Would be great for 3 gun but thats about it. I think he has 4 mags with it as well

Part of me want to buy a frame kit and maybe have a .40 made so I could cover anything. I want to have a double stack 1911 style pistol!!

My fear is not being able to get any magazines for one if I buy a frame kit! Am I being overly paranoid? I see WTB in the classifieds all the time for STI mags. I think the parts will be easy to find for the pistol build but not the mags.

Any advice? Caliber? Ramped , not ramped? Pretty new to these guns so have zero idea on mag size MM etc. I think I would favor a .40 because I could shoot ipsc etc with it as well.

Look forward to advice and suggestions

Joe

Get a 40. It works in both games. You can run minor loads for 3 gun and Major loads for USPSA. If you choose 9, your choice of divisions are limited in USPSA. You cannot shoot production with a 9MM single action 2011. The other divisions in USPSA would be scored minor. Mags are easier to obtain for 40 and more reliable.

Edited by lcs

FWIW, I went the STI Eagle .40 5" bushing barrel route last year. After some initial problems, it has been 100%.

I would recommend the tri-top slide option if you were going to order one. That's the only thing I want to do to mine.

It is definitely a universal platform. 3Gun, USPSA, IDPA, and SCSA come to mind.

yeah, here's another vote for 40! I made that same choice last year, and ended up with a 6" 40 and a pile of mags. Load it to major for a perfect limited gun, load with lead and clays for a super light minor load. Makes bigger holes, knocks steel down like it means it, as cheap at 9mm (seriously, brass is the same and 147 9mm seem to be more than 165 40 cal pills) and it's fun! Yes, I give up like 2 rounds per mag, but honestly that doesn't seem to slow me down. Plus I'm more accurate than with a wonder 9, so it saves me mikes.

Now I'm in the process of maybe adding a dot to an extra slide, and then I can shoot any and all games I want to play!

Dont worry about mags. I just bought a .40 and panicked about mags but after a few days I found them online and ordered from Brazo. I also spoke to the fine gentleman at Shootersconnection about an STI Edge and they had Mags if you buy the gun from them. You will find mags dont let that sway your decision.

My advice is to think about how much of each you will really be doing. For me my main gun sport is 3 gun so I went with 9mm and don't regret it at all. I do occasionally shoot a pistol event and when I do I shoot limited minor, I just try to shoot all alphas :-) that way power factor isn't an issue lol. I look at pistol matches as practice for 3 gun so I don't really get worked up on how I finish, but I do get the ribbing of "but he's shooting minor." If I really want to shoot a pistol match for real i'll grab a poly gun and shoot production but shooting limited minor is actually a lot of fun. If you are looking for a 3 gun pistol Clutch has is right, 9mm is really the way to go.

If you want a built gun call Benny Hill at Triangle. Have him build a std frame sti with a bushing barrel in .40. with the options and finish you want. You can play every game there is with that pistol. Tell him how many mags you want and they will come in the box with the pistol.----------------Larry

Burkett's guns are really good. If you can afford a new custom built gun you can not go wrong with his firm.

Obviously, 40 S&W gives you more versatility . I had a 40 dedicated to 3Gun.

But I went with a new build in 9mm. As silly as it sounds, I found leaving 40 brass on the ground to bug me no end. 9mm is no problem.

I shot Production for a while and did not shoot the platform very well. So I already had the stuff to reload 9mm, plus about 5,000 rounds loaded. Got rid of the Production gun and have another Infinity.

Wow, lots of advice. I feel like I can't pass on this deal. I told my friend that kind of cash is not in my budget for a few months. He told me to pay him when I could. I shot the gun today and wet my pants. It was awesome.

It's a ramped barrel. I see folks saying get another top end in 40? Could I get another top end if the original is a 9mm? I went online and priced out the same gun with the mags etc and it came to 4800 I think.

This would be my dream gun....

I checked some of the guns at shootersconnection and am wondering why the Matt Burkett pistol costs so much more. I will say the thing feels like its running on bearings. I have never felt a slide so smooth. What am I missing?

Edited by lablover

Living in Michigan you are absolutely nuts if you do not have Matt Cheely build you your dream gun. He's a Michigander like you, who builds some of the best guns in the world. His customer service is second to nobody! I send him stuff to tweak once in awhile and get it back in about 3 days. Imagine how fast he would be at taking care of you. It'll take some time to get the gun built though. I think you can make a down payment to get on his list then you can start aquiring all the goodies you'll need.

Email Matt Cheely!!!

Or if you want one built you live in Sterling Heights. Go talk to Doug Jones over in Rochester Hills. We have had him build or rebuild guns, and also when we need something on a gun gun tweaked we take it to him. He does good work.

Brian

I'm with blu46and2, get an Infinity or if you have one built have the smith use an Infinity slide so you can change the breechface. I have a 5" Infinity with a 40 bull barrel, a 9mm bushing barrel and a breechface for each. One gun for both games.

Some really beautiful custom work in this this thread. Its great to have so many options. I do like having complete guns as backup, just in case one goes in for work. Always the question of money alocation - which resources (practice, training, reloading gear etc.) will be the most beneficial to a given skill level. I do wonder how the multi-upper scenario plays out resale wise compared to just having separate guns. Every once in a while it's time to trade up, and I think having separate complete guns offers more flexibilty there when your just wanting to upgrade for one game. I have so far to go on skill developement, a custom build isn't the best way for me to spend money. It'll be a while before I could out run a stock STI Edge or Apiero with minor trigger and recoil system tweaks I can do myself. Still, I would not at all be surprised to find myself asking the same questions as the OP @ some point down the line. Great info, Guys-thanks.

Edited by phm14

Some really beautiful custom work in this this thread. Its great to have so many options. I do like having complete guns as backup, just in case one goes in for work. Always the question of money alocation - which resources (practice, training, reloading gear etc.) will be the most beneficial to a given skill level. I do wonder how the multi-upper scenario plays out resale wise compared to just having separate guns. Every once in a while it's time to trade up, and I think having separate complete guns offers more flexibilty there when your just wanting to upgrade for one game. I have so far to go on skill developement, a custom build isn't the best way for me to spend money. It'll be a while before I could out run a stock STI Edge or Apiero with minor trigger and recoil system tweaks I can do myself. Still, I would not at all be surprised to find myself asking the same questions as the OP @ some point down the line. Great info, Guys-thanks.

And here is a good point. Being so new to the game I find myself thinking...Do I really need this YET! To want is one thing right. I could see this putting a dent in my/our shooting budget. I may very well be better off stock pilling some bullets/powders/primers so we can shoot more. My Wife says do it, she however only wants to make me happy. Hmmmmmmmm tough one

Is 3500 really too much? The darn thing goes for 4800 or so. Is it who built it that makes it so darn expensive...A name thing?

Edited by lablover

New to post here but the reloading forums have been a very helpful! Also looking into a custom built also? I reload only .45 cap and only shoot locally and have already done the single stack slab side builds and like them very much.. I have gotten work done by Marianne at Cranial Customs but hear Matt is very talented at the STI Infinity builds and if I remember right he is in Howell, MI?? Can anyone give me his contact information?? I did try Ned a while back, but was not accepting orders at the time?