Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Perfect Scope

kdj

I switched from an Aimpoint to a C-more a couple of weeks back when moving to my new gun.

I now know exactly what I'd like in a scope and it doesn't exist :angry:

I like the build quality of an Aimpoint. I like the robustness of the design. I like the click adjustment of the brightness. I like the battery life. I like the size of the dot. I really like the click adjustment for windage and elevation.

I don't like the narrow field of view through the tube. I don't like the knobs that attract my attention when I'm trying to look at the target. I don't like the height of the scope above the bore.

For the C-more: I like the "heads up" nature of the display. I like the fact that the dot floats in space without distraction. I like the fact that the scope is light.

I detest the windage and elevation adjustment!! I dislike the relatively poor build quality of the plastic fittings and fixtures.

What I want is a C-more built out of titanium by Aimpoint, with a slightly larger screen and click adjustment for everything, and a better battery holder.

And it doesn't exist :(

I wonder if I could find someone to pull the innards out of a C-more and retrofit it into a light titanium chassis with an integral mount and ...

I can't be the only person who wants the perfect solution, so has any one else experimented in this direction?

Kevin

Kevin,

Sounds like you got a bad one. Both of mine have between 30-50k (depending on which gun) and are running like a champ. The one problem that I have ever had was when I went with 2-1.5V batteries and it fried the circuitry (???).

If I was going to Richmond this weekend, I'd offer to take a look at it for you.

In the meantime, look around for an Omni sight. Seems to be built well, dot size is adjustable and "floats in space" like the C-More.

I say stick with the C-more.

Rich

There's nothing wrong with the C-more (although the first dot module only lasted a week), it's just that the design and build quality are aimed at a specific price point and I'd rather pay more and get a better quality product ... except there isn't one :P

Kevin

I'm with Kevin.. the C-more dot is too high over the bore line and there are natural indexing and newbie-friendlyiness advantages to a tube. An uncluttered tube with good adjustments would rock.

I think that French guy uses an Aimpoint, so they can't be all bad.

Buy a holosight and mount it upside down. Problem solved.

I'm pretty tempted by that but they are pretty heavy and I imagine there'd still be swing impulse from the weight above the screen.

My perfect red dot scope would be tubed with a 45 mm lens, have an integrated mount (no weaver rails) that uses an Allchin or 3-hole C-More pattern, have a BRIGHT variable dot (4, 8, 12, 16 MOA), use a cheap CR2032 battery, have click adjustments for windage and elevation, 7-11 brightness levels, be bullet-proofed for reliability, have a solid multi-year warranty with a REAL service center, be modular for easy repairs, and weigh about 4 oz (the entire scope and mount should be less than 6 oz.). Price -- <$300. Fantasy mode over.

Based on very little experience with the Doctor: Build qualty seems even worse than a C-more. As I understand it, the adjustments are even less precise and the scope doesn't hold adjustment between battery changes.

I think that's going in the wrong direction from my perspective :D

Thanks,

Kevin

It's nothing that dramatic - although I did have a dot module fail at the area 5. It's more a feeling of dis-satisfaction everytime I try to sight the gun in, because of moving something or changing load.

Compared to an Aimpoint, the design is better but the implementation is inferior. I still want a titanium C-more B)

Kevin

Based on very little experience with the Doctor: Build qualty seems even worse than a C-more. As I understand it, the adjustments are even less precise and the scope doesn't hold adjustment between battery changes.

I think that's going in the wrong direction from my perspective  :D

Thanks,

Kevin

There was a fair amount of discussion on the Docter in the following: Docter discussion (and others, search on Docter).

Docter had quality problems but they have seen to cleaned them up in Gen. 3. The shift in alignment during a battery change comes from fit issues with the mount locating pins. Beven Grams came up with a machined-in mount that eliminates that. The mount also gets the scope very low so the dot is in about the same spot as your iron sights. I posted a couple of marginal pictures here that show the mount in use. Contact Beven Grams if you have more questions. I have not been all that active in open this year, so the gun only has about 4K rounds through it. The scope has held zero all that time and was r&r once during that period to sight in a back-up scope. You see, I am trying a different approach to reliability (AKA Murphy). If I have a sighted-in backup scope with good batteries in the gun bag, I won't need it! :rolleyes:

Good Shooting,

Chuck

There is a rumor that C-more has such a "2nd-generation" sight ready to go, but sales of the current unit are such that they haven't gone to the effort of tooling up for manufacturing. I have a friend that says he's seen it, but the whole story sounds a bit wierd-- after all if it was really good, they could cash in on everybody replacing their existing units, which is probably far more than ongoing new sales.

The Docter sight are far from perfect. Not bright sightenough, lens too small and the adjustment isn't any better than the C-more. They were doing pretty well fixing the problems but the latest gen 3 or 4 not sure which now was about 4 steps backwards. I know 3 guys that have had them blow up withing the first 1K rounds. The 2nd Gen were better at holding up. The only problem with the C-more is the initial sight in. If they madea .25 click adjustment it would be perfect. One of the Guys I shoot with made a mount that rotates the C-more over 90 degrees. The right is right on top of the slide. Only problem is it won'twork with barrel ports.

" I know 3 guys that have had them blow up withing the first 1K rounds. "

Chriss,

Could you describe the failures a bit more? I would like to know what to watch for.

Thanks,

Chuck

Oh yeah, I use 2 batteries instead of just 1 as shipped.

Chuck,

I didn't really get into it with them. Mike Hughes had one totally die less than 1K.

I think the wiring is blowing out and the dot goes. The other guys are having problems with the dots going out. They have 2-3 that they rotate. One on the gun, a spare in the bag and one out for repair. I only had one out of 2 die. They replaced it with the gen 2 and it held up until I wised up and switched back to the c-more. It is now on my AR. The beating they take on a slide just seems to tear them up. I'm sure C-more could come out with something new and improved but they work as is so I won't hold my breath waiting. I think part of what makes them so damn good is that the actual wiring and circuits aren't moving to make adjustments. That seems to be the big failure with the Optimas/Jpoints style.

Criss,

Thanks for the update! Earlier Docters had regular hook up wire connecting the LED. Those connections were rather fragile. The ones that I have use some sort of ribbon cable which seems to be much more robust. Beven had one sight that had over 10K rounds on it last January. I guess I will find out next year when I take the gun to a major match. If it is going to break, it will be then!

Later,

Chuck

I have 7 C-mores, The oldest is about 8 years old the newest is about a year old. The oldest one is on my open Para 45 bowling pin gun. I shoot on a regular basis 210pf loads with this and never had a problem. Its been on and of my gun several times for gun related issues and never lost zero. I have never heard of any problems with them.I Have 3 on revos 2 on open 38 supers and one going on a Glock as we speak. I swear by them.

My perfect scope would be a tiny sensor on the gun and the dot on my glasses. ;)

Seriously, how about Cmore improving on the kind of plastic they use for their serendipity mounts. I've got 4 mounting holes that are already cracked and I'm seeing a hairline crack begining to grow in the elevation area. :(

My perfect scope would be a tiny sensor on the gun and the dot on my glasses. ;)

That's probably not far off doable ... but it would cost even more than the titanium C-More :P

I am seriously thinking about getting someone to make a scope mount/chassis and transplanting a set of C-more innards.

If I succeed in that, the wireless gun mounted camera tranmitting to a glasses mounted HUD would be a project somewhere down the road. Nolan, are you listening :D

Kevin

My perfect scope would be a tiny sensor on the gun and the dot on my glasses.

May not be that far away.

My "other sport" is sailboat racing, and in the last America's cup, one of the teams had electronics built into their sunglasses, so that they effectively saw the boats' performance and tactical information "floating" in front of them wherever they looked, so, they could do their tasks without ever having to change focus to look at on-board displays. The ultimate "heads up display".

Of course, those sunglasses cost about $20k per pair...

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
Criss,

Thanks for the update! Earlier Docters had regular hook up wire connecting the LED. Those connections were rather fragile. The ones that I have use some sort of ribbon cable which seems to be much more robust. Beven had one sight that had over 10K rounds on it last January. I guess I will find out next year when I take the gun to a major match. If it is going to break, it will be then!

Later,

Chuck

Chuck,

The ribbon cable isn't any better. I've had 2 (one 3.5, one 7) go since April. On another 7.0, the solder joint for the outside battery contact came loose - on the second stage of the Mid AT. I have a 3.5 first Gen ("A" series) and a 3.5 2nd Gen ("B" Series) that are fine. The three that quit were all GEN II Plus ("D" Series). BC stands behind them and they replace them, but they've cost me in 3 major matches this year already.

Mike Hughes