Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for some feed back on a quick change system for an R8 Bridgeport mill. Looking at 12 to 15 collet holders and 2 drill chucks.

#1 is Royal looks to be the best to fit the job but, is very expensive

#2 is Tormach TTS system, I would have to get a power draw bar. Price is reasonable for what I'm looking at.

#3 is Marlin PDQ looks to be bulky

#4 is a system from Billet Design, starting price is reasonable but can't get any info on additional collet holders mainly price

#5 is the Mach 1 not sold on how it works/longevity

There are a few others out there but hard to find info on them.

Rich

1- The Royal one is too much money. You will want to add more toolholders over time.

2-Tormach is a good system but the holders will pull out under some conditions, especially heavy milling cuts.

3-The PDQ is pretty bulky.

4- Don't know

5-Might be good, kind of expensive.

I'm using regular R8 collets, toolholders, etc. with a Power Drawbar that screws the Drawbar in and out for you. It uses an air impact wrench. It is kind of noisy during tool changes, but is economical and works well.

The other thing I might recommend is a Kwik Switch system, 200 size. You can get an R8 shank holder that stays in the spindle and you twist the bottom by hand to release. When you put a holder in, it automatically locks it in. You lose about 2 inches of Z height, but it is not super expensive and works good. You can find these on eBay fairly often. I think they still make them new as well.

Edited by Toolguy

Ok. Very very basic. Scrap piece of wood. Bla bla bla but here it is! My pcnc 1100 is finally running! I had to wire a separate panel for the garage to run the mill and extra lights that the enclosure will have. Still getting everything put together.

Congrats!!!!!! :cheers:

https://youtu.be/45TPszbTbcA

1st cut on metal. Junk slide b4e7fd84e2d43941c1e3859e5f52bcf5.jpg

I didn't get to do the entire window. Just a small portion went the entire way but I only did 2 passes on the video. Started a 3rd but I wanted to be sure the tool wasn't getting too hot and the chips where getting cleared. Finish was very smooth.

All manual.

Side note, I'm having trouble linking fusion 360 with path pilot. If anyone has a how to link I would really appreciate it!

Edited by Open1215

Not sure what you mean linking f360 and pp. Does f360 have a post processor for tormach path pilot? if not use linux. that should work. Path pilot is linux I understand. I use regular linuxcnc to run my mill and the post from f360 is great, no problems.

ETA they might call it EMC2 in the post list

Edited by kevinj308

Ok. Thank you. I may just be missing something all together. I'm pretty new with all of this. I have sound mechanical knowledge but, to me, is a pretty big undertaking.

when you choose post process with your new cam toolpaths theres a selection of drop down menus. One of those is your post processor. It's a loooong list of almost every kind of control out there. Let me go see what mine is, i'll take a pic

Working on getting a little video but there's two posts that should work for you.

emc.cps Generic Enhanced Machine Controller

or

linuxcnc.cps Generic LinuxCnc(EMC2)

The Tormach listing is probably still mach3 stuff, not the new pathpilot. Just guessing because you're having problems.

Great video. The plug-in from tormach seems to work. I just can't get my laptop to link to the pilot path computer. I've tried every USB port combo from laptop to tower and I'm still getting nowhere. I'm sure it's something very simple I'm just missing. I will keep fiddling with it a bit.