Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been playing with cutting a microdot on some of my Glocks. I modeled this with the extractor spring tunnel in it. You can use the section function to see how much material is between the tunnel and the cut. I just started by sketching simple shapes and extruding into solids. I have not got into the surfacing at all yet.

post-29808-0-67482600-1455737639_thumb.j

Yeah I can't even figure out how to move the mouse or what items are used for things like serrations or cuts or anything like that. Eh itkk be a long process I'm WAY to busy to be able to sit and tinker not to mention no CNC set up yet. If I can't figure this out then no since in doing a CNC conversion lol

You will get there. It's all manual. Ar least for me it is. It you want slide cuts, do a small section of the slide, add rectangle or do circles where you want the ends, add ligns to the spots. Hit q to "push pull" then type in a

- .025 or however deep you like them. Set the axis where you like and go from there. Start slow. I run new programs on wood. If you miss a number or something like that happens you don't ruin metal/slide/bits ect.

Yeah I can't even figure out how to move the mouse or what items are used for things like serrations or cuts or anything like that. Eh itkk be a long process I'm WAY to busy to be able to sit and tinker not to mention no CNC set up yet. If I can't figure this out then no since in doing a CNC conversion lol

I have been playing with cutting a microdot on some of my Glocks. I modeled this with the extractor spring tunnel in it. You can use the section function to see how much material is between the tunnel and the cut. I just started by sketching simple shapes and extruding into solids. I have not got into the surfacing at all yet.

Sculpting or surfacing are pretty amazing once you play with them. I use the words interchangeably, not sure if thats correct.

It seems foreign to a mechanic like me to start out with a mass that you can push around like clay. It was much easier to use cad when I treated it like a block of metal that I machined away to be what I wanted. But once my head got around the idea it's just a super cool way to make some complex curvy shapes. Just the kind of shapes that cnc is so good at doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MPnyFKKH8k&list=PLmA_xUT-8UlJMlVUue32aqjt2g-dYfW0_&index=2

Sculpting or surfacing are pretty amazing once you play with them. I use the words interchangeably, not sure if thats correct.

It seems foreign to a mechanic like me to start out with a mass that you can push around like clay. It was much easier to use cad when I treated it like a block of metal that I machined away to be what I wanted. But once my head got around the idea it's just a super cool way to make some complex curvy shapes. Just the kind of shapes that cnc is so good at doing.

I will watch that asap. This is a facet of cad I NEED to figure out.

once you start pushing and pulling on little nodes instead of driving things with more control and math you give up, well - control. It's quick and dirty, heavy on the dirty, you really need to know what you are doing if you want high quality stuff. It looks cool in demos though.

Edited by jid2

once you start pushing and pulling on little nodes instead of driving things with more control and math you give up, well - control. It's quick and dirty, heavy on the dirty, you really need to know what you are doing if you want high quality stuff. It looks cool in demos though.

That hasn't been my experience. Its not quick but I haven't found any lack of precision in the process. I do end up back in the modeling space before its all done. I agree that's where the "math" is, in modeling.

I've found that drawing a constraining box or feature in modeling and then using the surface space to fill it with cool curvy stuff works pretty well. Then back to model space if I need to clean it up, or measure something.

This is with F360.

Here's a shorter one by Curt Chan, I found it full of good tips. He moves fast though. I have to pause the video every time he shows something so I can try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OphzbTt4rKo

Here's a shorter one by Curt Chan, I found it full of good tips. He moves fast though. I have to pause the video every time he shows something so I can try it.

Ok, just so I have this straight, he is basing this off an imported picture?

Ok, just so I have this straight, he is basing this off an imported picture?

yeah, that's a cool trick too. You can scale the canvas, or back ground pic to the correct size and then work over it.

For example I imported a cell phone pic I took of my Glock 35 slide. Scaled it to the correct size and then was able to draw front slide serrations around the factory engraving. That was easiest for me to just look at it and see how I liked it.

here's another Curt one where he does some of that

I went to a cam boot camp today that was presented by Autodesk and Haas. I learned quite a few pointers today. After the class, they demonstrated a new Haas 5 axis machine. With Autodesk, it doesn't look like the 3x2 learning curve would be that steep. I was impressed to say the least! Now I just need to scrounge $182,000 for the machine and some extra for the tooling! ? It was a great way to spend the day!

Edited by bmiller