Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have. It would be a little more difficult to mount and is at least twice the cost. I figured for $65 why not!

OG

10-4 on the cost, I was just thinking about how the joe blocks can give you a precision angle, have you looked at walking the angle up using a 1/2 EM with a .060 lead

I have not. Most of this came form the Daniel's idea of a Glock yavapai jig.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

If you wantedt to CNC the angles with a ball end mill, you would need .010 step overs or less to do a decent job, then draw file to finish. With rough and finish passes that can take hours. The roughing passes can be .050 or so, but still a long time. With the angle table you only need a couple of roughing and a couple of finishing passes with the side of the end mill to have a nice looking job. That is a few minutes worth.

Also, check out the digital angle boxes (protractor) for $70 or less. This is the quick easy way to set angles in the vise or angle table. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=KM337-8195

Edited by Toolguy

If you wantedt to CNC the angles with a ball end mill, you would need .010 step overs or less to do a decent job, then draw file to finish. With rough and finish passes that can take hours. The roughing passes can be .050 or so, but still a long time. With the angle table you only need a couple of roughing and a couple of finishing passes with the side of the end mill to have a nice looking job. That is a few minutes worth.

Ahhhh. That makes sense, thanks.

I want to do this!!! The sense of pride and accomplishment, not only in getting the cnc set up, but creating.

Noticed a coworker brought in an incomplete lower and threw it on the machines at work during break.
i have little to no experience in that department, so might have to see if hed learn me some knowledge!

After several weeks of work, finally got my G0704 converted to CNC :D

I'm running Mach3 on a Microsoft Surface Pro with an Xbox 360 controller for "manual" control. Had to buy the UC100 to convert from USB to Parallel Port, which seems to work great going through a USB hub. Playing with FreeCAD and HeeksCNC for now, but definitely hitting a learning curve with the CAD/CAM. I have been able to do some test runs cutting circular and rectangular pockets.

I bought the motor mounts and ballscrews from automationtechnologiesinc.com and a stepper motor/power supply package off of eBay. Biggest problem with the motor package was a lack of instructions. Finally found the right document with a wiring diagram and some explanation. Luckily, I'm an EE, so the wiring went fairly smooth and getting the dip switches set correctly only took one iteration of trial 'n error.

So far, this has been a lot of FUN!!!! I've been watching tons of youtube vids to help with my understanding. "hossmachine" on youtube and his website (g0704.com) has an incredible amount of info on CNC conversion of these machines. This thread and his vids + a few other folks vids on youtube have really saved my bacon on getting things setup.

Will try to post some pics of my projects as things progress...

post-18006-0-20045100-1411006342_thumb.j

The side cut will be a panel, one on each side designed to fit my thumb and finger. Goal is to be able to rack the slide quick without cutting my hands on anything. May look into a textured surface application or just skateboard tape. Even though these cnc machines can do some sexy cuts on a slide, I'm going for simplicity in this design.

Working on this...trying to figure out the CAM part of the process...

I have never seen free cad. Did you create the whole drawing or did you import the slide and frame assembly?

I did the slide and sights. The frame was imported from cncguns.com. I did several iterations of the slide to get to this point and took measurements from my parts versus spec dimensions. Building solid models is a different way of thinking. YouTube vids helped me make some breakthroughs.

I followed Dskinsler's lead and put a Dawson Precison Bomar on my factory Glock slide. We were both looking for dimensions online and didn't find any. I made this basic drawing, hopefully help the next guy out. That and BlindHogg's awesome instructions. I made a basic 3D model to generate the drawing, if anybody would like it just pm with the file type and I'll try to oblige.

Kevin

g35 bomar.pdf

post-13722-0-82549700-1411139008_thumb.j

Edited by kevinj308

Holy crap Kevin I forgot to get back to you...I apologize...I followed that same link of blind hog and I reverse engineered my ZEV slide that had a Bomar cut already. It was pretty easy actually but nice wok on the draws and measurements I just made notes on scrap paper and worked as I went...learned as I went too. A note to add don't run the dovetail cutter at 1000rpm lol use the speeds suggested buy the cutter manufacture for that. Measure twice cut once and take your time