Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok prob a dumb question. Smoking from the end mill while cutting? Too fast or used up end mill? I hadn't changed feed rates since doing the belt drive up grade and using GWizard

Smoking as in wood burning smoking or just a little? Are you using any cutting oil or cutting dry?

It is prolly getting hot enough to burn some of the oil off. As long as your end mill or workpiece isn't getting hot you are ok. You want the chips to hold and remove the heat. Double check all your settings as far as spindle speed and feed rate.

Cross posting this here, a lot of machinist types are reading this thread.

Hey guys,

I have a 6 inch long wide frame from STI that came to me with out the ramp cut. The brownells/egw cutter is 6" oal length and is at least an inch too short and the nowlin is even shorter. Anyone know where to get one? I called STI and am waiting on a call back. Thanks,

edit. Looking for the bridge cutter. VIS

Edited by ajg308

OG, loving the setup! Your guns are beautiful and getting better.

I noticed you hail from the Mesa area. I have an idea I was wondering if you could help me with. I'll pm you the details in a little bit. And I would love to see this thing in action. Could possibly trade tips as I am a welder by trade and can help you out with that if you like.

Again love the work, keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it is not CNC, but I could not resist. Will order DRO next week. Dirty, but everything works and seems tight.

Thats about what my old Bridgeport looked like when a brought her home….. she's a 1973 and i use it every day..

• 3 weeks later...

So how bout finding 80% frames? That would help too. Then you could get better measurements to put in your program?

Building something completely from scratch without any prep help is the ultimate in engineering...

Some people enjoy that...

I definitely would love to do something like this in the future!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The closet thing to CNC in my garage right now would be an RC truck with a dremel strapped to it, I don't even have an air compressor right now to pump up kids bike tires. But I'm using the down time to buy a new tool box and organize all my machinist tooling with full on 5S shadow box foam and lots of labeled storage bins. Gonna be so killer and usable.

Working on the new air compressor and CNC.

Edited by jid2

Got back to it this weekend. I made some progress on the 6er and it is looking good. I decided to go with all SV internals and most of the parts should be here next week.

From this:

slide.jpg

To this:

top16.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG