Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is a Seig SX2 capable of being converted and accomplishing the same things as a lms 3960? found a Seig SX2 locally for 350 but dont know alot about this mill. have been reading up on the lms 3960 and it seems to similar but would like the help from some educated guy on here. any help would be great, im jumping head first into this and really wanna get started

awesome! OG you got me hooked with these posts. i have been following your posts along with Jid's and im jumping on the wagon. Idk how good i will be at first but thats the fun part of learning this. i was given the 1911 agi books for my bday by my wife and cant wait to make my own. i have tons more questions but will save those for once i get the machine.

oh ok cool. im gonna go through and read somemore again, thanks again og. i just spoke to the guy and ill be meeting with him this weekend to pick up the mill, so tonight i will be welding up the stand,i was lucky to be able to get some metal from work and borrow our welder

OK been a busy weekend at the mill.

A forum member here stopped by on Friday with a M2I top end he got off the classifieds and a new PT LDC frame. Cut the frame for the clark/para and fit the slide and frame. Turned out pretty darn good and should be a great shooter.

I also got my 40SS underway in hopes of shooting it at the WSSSC. Should be doable. The slide to frame fit and barrel fit are as close of perfect that I can accomplish right now and with the KKM barrel should be a tack driver.

Since I really like the way that Briley well turned out I committed to making a welding jig to shore up some issues that my guy had welding and to get as close a fit as possible. This is jig number 2 under my belt!

My buddy and all his cop buddies really loved the 1911 so I am happy, it was well worth the effort. We are going to nitride it so finish pics to follow.

40fit.jpg

jig1.jpg

jig2.jpg

jig3.jpg

jig4.jpg

jig5.jpg

Here's some video from the machine at work running. This thing is so awesome - my garage has wants....

It's been fun learning to program for the 4th axis, and working on fixturing design. Don't blink on the tool changes!

Flat Top, Serrations, Front sight and ball cuts done.

I have a new setup for the serrations. I screw the slide clamps into the 1-2-3 blocks and then lock the 1-2-3 blocks to the table. This makes for a more compact setup with more room for the mill head without the long clamp screws sticking up.

setup2.jpg

setup1.jpg

topserr.jpg

ballcut.jpg

Donny I have a question for you and all the guys reading this thread that do their own Cerakoting.

I now have:

- Blast cabinet

- HVLP Gun with .8mm nozzle and air regulator

- 120 Grit Aluminum Oxide

- Oven

- Safety gear and respirator

What else do you recommend/do I need, besides the Cerakote, to have a successful spray?

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Other items that will help out;

Heat Gun

1/8" rod stock to bend up holding fixtures

small gauge wire(copper) for holding small parts

separate thermometer for thermal set finishes

Non Petroleum based cleaning products( I used CRC electronic cleaner and acetone)

nitrile/latex gloves

spray booth w/exhaust fan

for supply air regulator-filter-moisture trap

Spare spray gun parts

to name just a few

Rich

Be very careful with what you use for cleaning. Some people use brake cleaner but it basically turns to phosgene gas when heated. Obviously that can mess you up real bad. The reason I mention this is I seem to recall the instructions for Cerakote require that you clean the parts, heat them to leach out any oils, etc. then clean again. On this same point, make sure the cartridges for your respirator are correct for the chemicals you're using.