Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I had a T-Handle that would fit the reamer but did not. I could not find one locally but I didn't want to wait to shoot this bad boy until I could get one shipped. Solution: Make one! 6061 1" round bar drill, mill undersize and lightly tap snug with a 2oz hammer and BOOM custom made T-Handle! I did not realize how fun it is to be confronted with a problem and be able to make a tool to solve it even if it is something as simple as this.

Clymer makes one heck of nice cutter. With a little Do-Drill (Cutting Oil) it cut like butter. I took my time, only turned the tool clockwise and removed it often to clear the chips and check progress with the Go gage and my ammo. Feeds perfect with dummy rounds I made to my live ammo spec. Gonna take it for a test drive this weekend!

reamer.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Finished up the grip on the 45 2011 from earlier in the thread. Roughed up and taped off the frame, applied the JB weld and Silicon Carbide.

Edit: I have been asked for more detail so I thought I would post it here as well.

" I first used a dremel with a router/square end mill bit and roughed up the surface taking down the diamond checkering. I used air to blow off the surface and tried to touch it as little as possible to keep it oil free. I used all purpose painters tape to tape off the edges with an exacto knife.

I bought from harbor freight their rock polishing media kit for $19 it has 4 types of polishing media in it but I only wanted it for the coarse grit. I believe the coarse grit is a combo 600/800 grit.

I then mixed up some JB weld epoxy used a small paint brush to apply the epoxy covering the surface completely but not to thick. Then poured the grit onto the grip, kinda like we did as kids in arts and crafts with glitter and Elmers glue. I patted it down lightly then poured it over grip again. I did this three times to make sure it had complete coverage.

I waited 30 mins for it to start setting up the I gently peeled the tape. Once that was done, since the epoxy was still pliable, I tried to push down any high spots but be gentle you don't want the grit to come off. Then let it cure for another 15 hours a and now she is a shooter."

grip1.jpg

grip2.jpg

grip3.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

This was me a week ago or so, also without a tap handle.

20130416_231241.jpg

20130416_232614.jpg

Started lower lugs with this.

20130423_121517.jpg

20130423_121542.jpg

But I'm gonna finish with the CNC. Manual lug cutting days are over. This fixture will hold the barrel for hood fitting and lower lug profiling.

IMG_4110.jpg

Heres video of making the fixture.

Edited by jid2

Here she is. I need to blast the slide again and the lower is just cold blued so there is some sort of finish in it's future but she is done! I took it out to Rio this afternoon and man it is fast and flat like an open gun. The ports really do a nice job of keeping the muzzle down. I was shooting 230's and it felt like a 9mm. The front sight stays right there and doubles were fast!

fin.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

(something is borked with the quick reply feature.... I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu)

More details on the barrel fitting fixture please! Will the same fixture work for bull and bushing barrels? Is it as simple as milling out a cradle for the barrel and using that dowel pin for repeating between test fittings?

What issues did you find? Any thing you'd change for a rev 2?

Here she is. I need to blast the slide again and the lower is just cold blued so there is some sort of finish in it's future but she is done! I took it out to Rio this afternoon and man it is fast and flat like an open gun. The ports really do a nice job of keeping the muzzle down. I was shooting 230's and it felt like a 9mm. The front sight stays right there and doubles were fast!

fin.jpg

I think that you have built my dream carry gun.

The SX3 cost 50% more than the G0704 for not much more capabilities. In that price range I would go for a ZX45

That was really good advice, thanks again. Did a a lot of reading and the G0704 really is a better deal than a SX3. I wouldn't say the ZX/PM 45 is in the same price range as a an SX3 for CNC, especially after reading 50 pages of jid2's build thread lol. But you're absolutely right that the 0704/BF20 is a great deal. You actually talked me into a smaller toy, usually I get talked into more expensive ones.

Kevin

And to OG and jid2, if either of you guys still has time for dry fire I'm very disappointed in myself. Beautiful work, keep it up!

Very cool. Thanks for sharing OG.

Thanks! I am happy to be able to contribute to a site that is overflowing with awesomeness!

UPS brought me the buffer tube tap for the lower today. Man it is HUGE!

tap.jpg

Going back in the thread a little. Been reading a lot and found this. Cool youtube channel, and a video of him thread milling the buffer threads in a lower. A good link for a tool supplier as well. The supplier has a .zip download that will spit out gcode for thread mililng. He uses it in the video, looks like a time saver.

Kevin

http://www.advent-threadmill.com/downloads.html