Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

Also, it will be very hard to get your part on and off of those tall locating pins. They only need to stick up 1/2" from the tooling plate. Drill and ream your holes in the part .001 over the size of the pins. Then you will have repeatable location and it will be easy to work with.

That's a very good great point. I've actually seen pin locations grow farther apart while machining. Granted they were about 100" apart, we were throwing chips about 20 feet, and we were cutting 1.250 7050T7451 plate down to .1875 floor thicknesses. But still when we went to flip the part it was hard to get off and would not go onto the vacuum fixture with identical pin locations. Ooops.... Went off to program new pin locations for the initial part and repost g-code. Toned it down just a tad too.

LOL

I will keep this in mind and make the adjustments but my little mill won't throw a chip 20 inches let alone 20 feet. :D

Edit: Holy crowbar Batman! You guys weren't kidding those long pins would have been a nightmare! Thanks for all the insight! I made the adjustments and it is almost ready to go again!

mod3.jpg

ready.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I only shoot S&W revolvers. Get a set of radius gages. They don't cost much. Then you can check a slide or frame anywhere you want and know what size it is. Remember, a radius is half a diameter. If a 1/4" radius gage fit on the spring tunnel, then you would use a 1/2" diameter ball end mill.

I don't know. I only shoot S&W revolvers. Get a set of radius gages. They don't cost much. Then you can check a slide or frame anywhere you want and know what size it is. Remember, a radius is half a diameter. If a 1/4" radius gage fit on the spring tunnel, then you would use a 1/2" diameter ball end mill.

*Adds radius gages to the shopping cart.*

Thanks again!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

You gotta threadmill that action thats what cnc is all about.

True dat. I will do this but the tap was only $75 the threadmill in this size is a few hundo! So the wallet won this time.

No thread drift intended but for those of us inspired by this thread here's a good youtube on threadmilling.

thegeekgroup is a cool channel on youtube, 16+ videos on cnc training.

Kevin

Cool vid.

Loved the safety disclosure at the beginning.

I picked up a manual mill last year and learning how to use it.

The long term goals are to convert it to CNC. Hopefully in the next couple years.

This thread is pretty inspiring and I'm picking up quite a bit of info.

Thanks to everyone who shared their input.

Will continue to follow this and learn along the way.

In my opinion, the main benefit of that jig that wouldn't be easy to setup without it is the ability to cut the radius on the feet.... How hard would that be to do with CNC vs buying a jig?

Your machine is so Bad A$$! It's what mine wants to be when it grows up!

Haha, my machine wants to be bigger, faster, and have a tool changer. Thinking about buying a Haas Mini Mill or a Hurco Vm10i.

In my opinion, the main benefit of that jig that wouldn't be easy to setup without it is the ability to cut the radius on the feet.... How hard would that be to do with CNC vs buying a jig?

Not sure but even if I write some code the jig seems to be absolutly usable for the CNC process. And it it seems VERY easy to use manually.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Your machine is so Bad A$$! It's what mine wants to be when it grows up!

Haha, my machine wants to be bigger, faster, and have a tool changer. Thinking about buying a Haas Mini Mill or a Hurco Vm10i.

I think about it everyday as well but won't be able to justify it to the Mrs. for a awhile ...

;-P

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I will try to hook up the vid for the next build which will be a STI commander length 40.

Bummer about your trials and tribulations this weekend hope the vise is not too hurt. At least you didn't smash your thumb with a dead blow hammer while fitting a slide... :surprise:

Well this bad boy is almost shoot-able. Fit the barrel (Bar-sto) but the STI grip safety just was not in spec so I ordered a EGW Billet tail and what a FANTASTIC part. Plenty of meat and was a joy to fit. Blended the back of the slide (Caspian) and right side ambi (C&S Tacticool). Shaping up to be a fine .45 carry blaster. Going to ship it off to Springer for a 2 tone DLC tan lower and black top but there is a lot of work left to do before calling UPS.

fighter1.jpg

fighter2.jpg