Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun limited

mdschappell

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.....

It seems that limited in three gun has taken a down turn in participants. Would anyone be inclined to shoot limited with an unmagnified optic or iron sights on the rifle (like current rules), a pump shotgun, and a production pistol (10 or 15 rd mags)?

I think a division like this would be really attractive to newcomers who probably already have this gear.

Thoughts?

Limited saw a surge of new shooters the last few years, not a down turn. Rumor has it some of the past Iron "legends" are going to play in Limited this year, potentially making it the most competitve, and certainly interesting divisions.

I think adding a new division to the sport that is arguably at the bottom of the funnel would have no benefit. 3Gun is not cheap, but there are plenty of people trying to gear up to get into the sport, so I don't see the direct benefit at any of the major matches.

Local, do what you think is best for your local shooters, realizing some of them use local to prepare for majors...

Nationally, the struggling divisions are the Heavy/He-Man. The rules are disjointed match to match, there is but a small loyal following. Match Directors/Rules and 3GN have made it very difficult on those folks who really enjoy Heavy. Limited is just an optic switch from Tac-Optics, so it is pretty simple.

• 2 weeks later...

Nationally, the struggling divisions are the Heavy/He-Man. The rules are disjointed match to match, there is but a small loyal following. Match Directors/Rules and 3GN have made it very difficult on those folks who really enjoy Heavy. Limited is just an optic switch from Tac-Optics, so it is pretty simple.

If there's any division that could use some kind of a boost, it's HM for sure. Winning matches is great and all, but it's somewhat less great when you only had to beat one other shooter.

Limited is fairly popular at our local matches, but our absolute max range is 100 yards on one stage. I think having closer targets takes away some of the fears people have about shooting the match without optics.

I'm shooting HMO this year. I built an awesome 308 and I love shooting it. I hate paying for bullets, but love the gun. Besides, I've always been a big fish/little pond kind of a guy anyway. I'm addicted to kicking ass to btw. We'll have to see how that shakes out......

I'm shooting HMO this year. I built an awesome 308 and I love shooting it. I hate paying for bullets, but love the gun. Besides, I've always been a big fish/little pond kind of a guy anyway. I'm addicted to kicking ass to btw. We'll have to see how that shakes out......

Worked out well for Jesse...just don't shake too hard or something might come loose. :)

I thought HeMan got a boost with the shoot-off rules. Perhaps some believe the competition in HM was not as strong as Tac Op and therefore might get in the shoot-offs more frequently

HeMan is great but like it was said, 3G in $$$$$ intensive. Trying to shoot HeMan, TacOp and another division would put a serious dent in my budget. It is bad enough I drive an 18 year old 4Runner to support m y gun habit.

haha yeah I think it's finances. I love all divisions and almost all shooting games, but can't afford to shoot 223 and 40 right now as it is. If I had to do it with 45s and 308, I would be driving a shittier car. Granted, my car already is worth less than my tac optics scope, but still.

I thought HeMan got a boost with the shoot-off rules. Perhaps some believe the competition in HM was not as strong as Tac Op and therefore might get in the shoot-offs more frequently

It kind of did, even more with the Divisional $5K, but with no more shoot-offs in favor of the Pro-Series, it looks like HM is sliding back to the guys who really love it.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.....

It seems that limited in three gun has taken a down turn in participants. Would anyone be inclined to shoot limited with an unmagnified optic or iron sights on the rifle (like current rules), a pump shotgun, and a production pistol (10 or 15 rd mags)?

I think a division like this would be really attractive to newcomers who probably already have this gear.

Thoughts?

sounds like ssg multigun for idpa

Edited by bigfish

• 2 weeks later...

It kind of did, even more with the Divisional $5K, but with no more shoot-offs in favor of the Pro-Series, it looks like HM is sliding back to the guys who really love it.

You are correct sir. HM won't benefit from a lot of the semi pro shooters sneaking over to grab points either. Couple what you said with what I said and pull the 50 pro guys out of the at several majors cause they will be shooting along with no $5,000 divisional purse announced yet and HM is going to shrink in 2013.

Seems the only way to make the small divisions bigger these days is to do your prize table like Rocky Mountain or make the divisions more like Tac Optics.

BTW. I have been in rehab for the ass kicking problem. I think I have it kicked. I'm down to 1-2 per month now.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

• 1 month later...