Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breech Face erosion already

PaulW

So I took my old open gun out, cracked slide, etoded breech face, old dog gun and shot some of the same minor loads as last Sunday. The 6.0 of Autocomp with a 115 that chrono'd at 126pf was definately not sealing the case against the chamber as the whole side of the case was just black. The clays load at 140pf I bumped up a tad and it looked much better. Not sure about these Tula smp primers though

Why, you still think the primers are an issue?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always have the breach face welded up, then re-cut....

You could always have the breach face welded up, then re-cut....

Virtually nobody will do that now, and it's really not bad enough to need anything that drastic. There have been firing pin bushings made that replace part of breach face, but most of those are offset bushings to correct for barrels set higher than stock, fr more lug engagement....I'm sure somebody could make a non-offset version.

Loose primer pockets can cause this much damage in just a few hundred rounds....ask me how I know. I now track how many cycles on my cases, and leave them on the ground after 6-7, even though they will still work past that...it's not worth risking even a few starting to loosen up, and you can't feel anything when seating them in a 1050.

I guarantee the brass that's burning the piss out of your breech face would not do it to mine if I used Federal small pistol primers shooting minor (or major).

Don't ask me how I know that shooting small pistol magnum primers with minor loads will burn out a breech face.

Search for "Breech face erosion."

Edited by DyNo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gun is on the way back. They tested the hardness of the slide and found it was within their spec. But they stepped up and replaced the slide. For that I am very thankful. Will have to wait and see what the rest of the work looks like.

Now I plan on using only Winchester small magnum primers, new brass and only major load. At least for the first few thousand rounds. Probably gonna just sell those russian primers, not sure if they were the issue but dont want to risk it.. I just dont want to see that kind of erosion on the breech face again.

I would suggest looking at the Tula primers. It appears your getting some blow back around the primer pocket and Tula primers have been know to be corrosive.

I have never heard that Tula/Wolf primers are corrosive from any source. I have gone through more than 30,000 without any issues, other than 3 defective ones. Blowback around a loose primer pocket would have nothing to do with the primer itself but the nasty brass.

Was suppose to be shipped back early last week but nothing yet. They still had to test fire it so maybe they had some tweaking to do.

As for the Tula, this is my first time using them so for now I am going to take them out of the equation. I have 3k pieces of new brass but damn I hope that 5 gallon bucket of used super brass is not worthless.

Was suppose to be shipped back early last week but nothing yet. They still had to test fire it so maybe they had some tweaking to do.

As for the Tula, this is my first time using them so for now I am going to take them out of the equation. I have 3k pieces of new brass but damn I hope that 5 gallon bucket of used super brass is not worthless.

I'll give you $20.00 for it...

Hey PTNG! I called first dibs! Back of the line with you! ;)

Actually, I'm thinking that our good Mr. Whitacre will be able to make use of that bucket 'o brass after he gets this sorted out.